kriscaughey

2001 Winnabego Journey charging problem

We are having a problem with coach batteries not charging when going down the road, if we turn on the generator the coach batteries will charge and we have no problem. Our unit is a 36DL with approx. 80,000 miles. Thanks for any help we can get to find and fix this problem. Additionally, our coach batteries were purchased new in October 2017. 

kriscaughey,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

So, the alternator IS charging the chassis batteries but not the house batteries?

If so, you need to check your battery isolator-- may be diode-based or solenoid based. Follow the large gauge wire from the alternator B+ terminal to find the battery isolator.

Yup, on page 73 (Section 6, page 9) of that document it states that the house batteries are automatically charged by the alternator with the engine running.

Same as virtually all motorhomes.

Good catch - somehow I missed that.

That being the case, then I agree that the battery isolator would be a good place to start troubleshooting to see where the charge is/isn't going.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I only wish the reverse was in mine!  No engine battery charging, on shore or generator...:wacko:

You should be able to fix that pretty easily.

Bill

So far, other than a trickle charger...nope!  I have to run a separate cord from batteries to a forward bay or a shore power post (if it has a 30), at home I have 50, 30, 20 so no problem. 

1 hour ago, manholt said:

So far, other than a trickle charger...nope!  I have to run a separate cord from batteries to a forward bay or a shore power post (if it has a 30), at home I have 50, 30, 20 so no problem. 

Your problem is a great place to install something like the Xantrex Echo Charger - it will send up to 15 amps from your house system to your start bats whenever the house system is being charged.

Carl, I'm with Richard on this, have TCC install an Echo charger while its there, the chargers are around $100.00 and it will do it all for you.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, kriscaughey said:

We are having a problem with coach batteries not charging when going down the road, if we turn on the generator the coach batteries will charge and we have no problem. Our unit is a 36DL with approx. 80,000 miles. Thanks for any help we can get to find and fix this problem. Additionally, our coach batteries were purchased new in October 2017. 

I don't think your MH has a BIRD for charging both batteries, but if it does have one, that is the first thing to test for proper operation, the BIRD is bypassed when the genset is running.

8 hours ago, RayIN said:

I don't think your MH has a BIRD for charging both batteries, but if it does have one, that is the first thing to test for proper operation, the BIRD is bypassed when the genset is running.

Rayin, I believe you are getting these mixed up. The Bird type unit is for when you are parked and you want the generator or shore power to charge the chassis batteries.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, kriscaughey said:

What is the Voltage reading of the engine alternator when the engine is reading? 

The Coach and chassis batteries both charge when the coach is connected to shore power or the generator is running - if I'm reading things correctly. Also when was the last time the alternator belt was serviced?

I Have Driven many miles with the generator powering the inverter /charger to supply the required 12 volts to keep the chassis system powered. The alternator sometimes becomes a pulley so the water pumps keeps things cool.

Rich.

8 hours ago, jleamont said:

Rayin, I believe you are getting these mixed up. The Bird type unit is for when you are parked and you want the generator or shore power to charge the chassis batteries.

Re-read http://bacrallies.com/PDF/PDF Manuals/BIRD Diesel.pdf for the BIRD unit, the first and second paragraphs. Tell me where I am mixed up?

12 hours ago, jleamont said:

BIRD unit,

I figured out where I got my lines crossed, I was thinking of the echo charger. 

I just read through the spec on the B.I.R.D. unit. Seems like it's a bi-directional version of the Echo Charger with one big difference. The max output on the B.I.R.D. unit is 1 amp and not 15 amps like the Echo Charger. At 1 amp, it will take a long time to bring up a discharged battery bank, especially a large battery bank.

Like most, my Inverter/charger charges my house batteries when on Shore or Generator. My engine charges my house batteries AND chassis batteries when the engine is running.

To keep the chassis batteries charged when parked but on shore power,  I mounted a trickle charger and plugged it into my block heater plug. That is a 120 VAC plug, so only "hot" when on shore power or generator. When plugged into shore power or with the generator running it is maintaining  the chassis batteries. Haven't had an issue with the batteries in over three years. Trickle charger at WalMart $14.95 + tax and about an hour labor.

Herman

I Created a new topic for the discussion where it went from a 2001 Winnebago to a 2001 Holiday Rambler and moved all of the posts that belong to the HR coach to the new post so we can keep all of the pertinent information with the appropriate coach manufacture to help with a future search. 

Please add all further comments to the Holiday Rambler post if related, here is the link;

Thank you,

Thanks, Joe.

Appreciated-- and will be particularly appreciated by those with questions about the Winnebago electrical system.

Carl....when plugged into shore power, your charger should charge the house batteries and when they get to 13.3 volts, the Big Boy should open and the chassis batteries should get charged.  When driving the same thing occurs except the batteries are reversed....the chassis batteries are charged, when they get to 13.3 volts, the Big Boy opens and the house batteries are charged.  Doesn't your Tradition work that way?

On 4/26/2019 at 7:06 AM, richard5933 said:

I just read through the spec on the B.I.R.D. unit. Seems like it's a bi-directional version of the Echo Charger with one big difference. The max output on the B.I.R.D. unit is 1 amp and not 15 amps like the Echo Charger. At 1 amp, it will take a long time to bring up a discharged battery bank, especially a large battery bank.

I don't know where you read that about 1A charging but it is incorrect. The B.I.R.D. is an intelligent switch, not a charger. Mine will re-direct recharging my house batteries at the maximum charge rate(user set via Xantrex inverter/charger) of 50A in bulk mode if the need is present. I replaced it in 2013 because the house battery bank was not recharging as designed.

FWIW, that installation diagram is incomplete, at least for my MH.