cogriffins

Tire blowout near Cooksville

We just had a blowout on our 2018 Fleetwood Discovery. We are at the Buffalo Valley Rest Stop near Cookville, TN. Not having much luck finding help to come and change the tire.. Is there anybody in this area who has suggestions?

Thanks

Thats the reason I always carry a spare with the tools to change it.  I've never been without a spare in 400K miles 44 years and 10 motorhomes.

Not everyone is as Manly as you and has the ability to physically change a 200 lb tire and rim on the road.

Glad you can do it. 

It's not so much about being manly enough to change the tire yourself - it's about having the tire available so that all you need is the assistance. It's usually possible to find a mobile tire repair truck that can easily swap the spare for the flat tire. Not always so easy to find the correct tire, especially when you're off the beaten path or have a flat when the warehouse is closed.

We also never leave home without a mounted/inflated spare and a way to call for a mobile tire repair if needed. I've also got the tools to change it myself, but I'd have to be pretty desperate to even make the attempt on that.

Appreciate the feedback. We called the Love's roadside number. They found the correct tire at the local Love's in Baxter, TN and set it up for someone to help us within 90 minutes.  A few minutes later, we were back to square one when the local Love's called us to say they will not work on RVs. They would bring the tire for $109.00 plus mileage but could not do any more.  Apparently it is the decision of each individual location to decide what they will and won't do.  Long story short and many calls and hours later, Black Smoke Mobile Deisel Repair has the tire and will help us in the morning. We like the idea of bringing a spare but not sure it would even fit in our storage area. We will be measuring though. Thanks again!

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

How do you raise the tire(s) of the ground. Not with the leveling system I hope.

They must carry one of those 40 ton small air jacks with them.

11 hours ago, cogriffins said:

Thank you for the suggestions. We will try them and hope that they sell tires. We appreciate it.

Any update, who came out?

They have Smoke Diesel Repair coming out this AM as Loves won't do RV tires . . . Guess it depends which Loves you go to. They put 6 new tires on my RV in Florida. Had to sign waiver for damage.

8 hours ago, cogriffins said:

Appreciate the feedback. We called the Love's roadside number. They found the correct tire at the local Love's in Baxter, TN and set it up for someone to help us within 90 minutes.  A few minutes later, we were back to square one when the local Love's called us to say they will not work on RVs. They would bring the tire for $109.00 plus mileage but could not do any more.  Apparently it is the decision of each individual location to decide what they will and won't do.  Long story short and many calls and hours later, Black Smoke Mobile Deisel Repair has the tire and will help us in the morning. We like the idea of bringing a spare but not sure it would even fit in our storage area. We will be measuring though. Thanks again!

9 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

How do you raise the tire(s) of the ground. Not with the leveling system I hope.

Not sure how others would do it. According to the operator's manual for my coach, the outside rear can be changed by running the inside rear up on the ramp (ramp came with the coach), and the inside rear and front are change with the bottle jack that is stowed with the spare. Do I really think I have the strength to lift the bus with a simple bottle jack? Don't know for sure but I seriously doubt it. Again - I'm carrying those things for an case of extreme need, as I am counting on there being a mobile tire repair place around somewhere.

Back to the thread...

I'm truly surprised that the Loves wouldn't change a tires. I understand shops not wanting to work on mechanical systems or more involved repairs, but a tire should be somewhat universal between vehicles.

9 hours ago, cogriffins said:

we were back to square one when the local Love's called us to say they will not work on RVs.

I think that is a corporate decision. I have been turned away by two other LOVEs also, I will not buy diesel or anything else from Loves again as a result. I was in a pinch for a fuel filter, I carry a chair which I can sit in to change, only uses one (duel stage), they had one sitting on the shelf in front of me, would not even sell it to me to make my own repair since they wouldn't do the repair. Another repair was a tire change, I carry a spare.

13 hours ago, richard5933 said:

It's not so much about being manly enough to change the tire yourself - it's about having the tire available so that all you need is the assistance. It's usually possible to find a mobile tire repair truck that can easily swap the spare for the flat tire. Not always so easy to find the correct tire, especially when you're off the beaten path or have a flat when the warehouse is closed.

We also never leave home without a mounted/inflated spare and a way to call for a mobile tire repair if needed. I've also got the tools to change it myself, but I'd have to be pretty desperate to even make the attempt on that.

Exactly.  I haven't been able to walk right for the last year and a half but can still hobble around and use a walker or electric wheel chair.  2 weeks ago I pulled both outer duals off to change the stems to shorter ones so I wouldn't have to reach through the 2 inch hole to screw on the tpms transmitter.  It took me much longer than it would have some time ago but it was doable.  If I have to change a tire on the road I think I could still do it or find someone to help me since I have all the tools and spare to do the job.

21 hours ago, cogriffins said:

We just had a blowout on our 2018 Fleetwood Discovery. We are at the Buffalo Valley Rest Stop near Cookville, TN. Not having much luck finding help to come and change the tire.. Is there anybody in this area who has suggestions?

Thanks

cogriffins, do you have roadside assistance?  Were they not able to assist?

If you don't,  would suggest you get it. FMCA has a great deal at $69/year.

34 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

For those who carry a spare, is it for the front? Or front and rears?

All ours are the same right now. When we change the fronts out to the proper size later this year, we'll change the spare to match. If a rear blows out I figure I can at least get off the road to somewhere safe. If a front goes out, you're stuck.

1 hour ago, DBenoit said:

For those who carry a spare, is it for the front? Or front and rears?

All my tires are the same size. I located the spare, 235/80 22.5 mounted on an Alcoa, under the propane tank, right side second compartment from the rear.  I mounted an electric winch on a framework just under the propane tank and it picks the tire off the ground up to the mount studs.  I also have a Tire Minder transmitter on the spare as well as the spare on my Silverado 1500 I tow.

36 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

... I also have a Tire Minder transmitter on the spare as well as the spare on my Silverado 1500 I tow.

That's a great point - I've done the same. No point in carrying a spare if you don't maintain it.

Usually the difference is the inner dual's are often steel where the outer wheel is aluminum with the polished portion on the dished portion of the wheel while the opposing side is not polished. The front wheels the polished portion is on the opposite side, the wheels are the same otherwise. In a pinch you can move them around i.e. carrying a spare mounted on a steel wheel could go into any position, aesthetically is the only concern. 

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Usually the difference is the inner dual's are often steel where the outer wheel is aluminum with the polished portion on the dished portion of the wheel while the opposing side is not polished. The front wheels the polished portion is on the opposite side, the wheels are the same otherwise. In a pinch you can move them around i.e. carrying a spare mounted on a steel wheel could go into any position, aesthetically is the only concern. 

My inner duals are machined Alcoa, I like the trueness of aluminum over the steel.  My spare is also machined Alcoa.  Of course the sides that show are polished.