Question

We are experienced RVers in 38' Class A , but just downsized to a 24' Class C. We want to travel from Jacksonville to Maine (with no tow), mainly  along the coast and time is not really an issue. We have 2 small dogs and my husband requires a scooter to get around. We want to travel the back roads and love history, museums, quaint towns, natural beauty. The high traffic, urban areas intimidate the heck out of us, although we do want to spend time visiting Washington DC and time in Boston. Forget NYC which we understand is not disability friendly, unless you know want to share the secret to camping and getting around. HELP

2 answers to this question

Sadly I live in CT, but travel to Virginia a few times a year, 40'pusher towing a car. 

I normally try to stay off toll roads, So Starting out from Fredricksburgh Virginia, Thats my normal destination, It does put me on 95 for a short amount of time.

Going north from Fredricksburgh on 95, I take 17 north,  Staying on 17 north until getting to 81 north. There are many Historical places to visit along this route,

81north and pick up 84 east in Pennsylvania.  There is one Toll crossing the Hudson river.

I buy fuel on RTE 17 in Virgina, Then another fuel stop for me is at Port Jervis NJ

It adds ruffly 2 hours drive time, vs going 95 the entire time. Way less $ on tolls, and less chances of getting stuck in traffic. 

I've sat at the GW Bridge for 8 hours in the past. and other times going threw the Tapanzee bridge, the potholes were so bad, it dislodged one of my fog lights that got smashed on the road, there was nowhere to pull over at that spot. 

safe travels.

Just to add to u8at711 directions is take Rt 84 thru NY and CT to Mass Pike (90). This will put about 1 hour from Boston but it is a toll road. This also avoids GW Bridge which is about $75 to cross and the Tappan Zee which is a $4 billion new bridge.