Sign in to follow this  
Txtreebeard

Turning a Class A on an Incline

I currently have a 30’ Thor Chateau class C that my sons have out grown the sleeping arrangements.  I am interested in buying the 34’10 Mirada class A.  Would prefer a diesel pusher with air suspension and independent front wheel suspension, but that is out for multiple reasons.  My concern is that it has a solid axle front suspension with leaf springs.  I have a property that has an RV pad on it basically on the side of a ravine.  I have to go down a hill on a gravel road, turn off on to the pad.  The approach has a pretty steep decline from the road to the pad.  It is at least a 3’ drop (maybe 4) over about 15’ distance and I have to be turning down it.  I was nervous the first time, but my class C does it fine.  But it also has independent front wheel suspension.  Based on comparisons with my C I am not worried about ground clearance (except in back) or turning radius.  But I don’t know how tippy these units are and have no place to immulate on a test drive.  I also don’t know if a wheel will come off the ground.  Is this solid axle class A going to have problems with that, either for safety or damage to the unit?  I appreciate any thoughts.

It is extremely too bad that the pusher is out for you, I have a buddy who bought a gasser and he's had to modify and modify again his suspension in order to make the coach feel secure for him on inclines and when he's in a cross wind.. I bought after him, and after working on his to get his suspension closer to where he wanted it, when we looked at coaches, I insisted on AIR BAG!

The ride is so much better that I would never be able to be a non-bag salesman! I could not lie to someone and say there was even a comparison that could be made between the two!  My suggestion would be, try to rethink not being able to get the bagger and indie suspension. 

Another thought... mine currently has a single actuator for the front bags... one goes down, they both go up. I've been bottoming out a bit and Freightliner just found that the bag mount is bent two inches... We're currently in the process of building up the components to swap to independent front bag actuation... (and, of course, fixing of the bent bracket!)

I feel your pain, sorry my comments probably only make things worse and don't really offer an  answer to your question... 

43 minutes ago, 40SC40QS said:

Another thought... mine currently has a single actuator for the front bags... one goes down, they both go up. I've been bottoming out a bit and Freightliner just found that the bag mount is bent two inches... We're currently in the process of building up the components to swap to independent front bag actuation... (and, of course, fixing of the bent bracket!)

So, will the conversion be to 1 ride height valve in back and two in front OR one for each wheel position.

If the latter, would appreciate a write up on what Freightliner is suggesting.