dbenoit

Coast to Coast (East to West)

Just looking to see who has made that journey. It looks like it is a little shy of 3,000 miles. I know we can't do it for a few years and then don't know if we would do it at all.

So many places to see. Probably take like a couple of months at least.

Anyone? Would like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

We did it 2 times. PA to CA and back. No issues other than weather. First time was July 2008, no weather issues other than high wind. The second time was November 2013, I do not recommend that, nor will I ever do that again in the winter months. Ice storms, snow accidents all over the place. Both trips out were I-81S to I-40 West straight across. Coming home in the winter we had to divert to I-10 E from the west coast, I thought we would be far enough south to avoid bad weather, got stuck in western TX in a bad Ice storm just east of Van Horn TX. 

Both times were our Gas coach, haven't been farther than New Mexico in the DP. 

Moral of the story, plan in a good season for weather.

Agree with the weather. How long did it take? I'm kind of doing a long term pre planning. 

I have lived in CA so I have seen almost everything there and here in New England, it's the in between things I've missed out on.

I had to cram it into two weeks of vacation that I can take at one time. Left home on a Friday night, drove for 4 hours, 10-12 hour days after that and I believe we pulled into Anaheim CA on Tuesday afternoon. The drive was just shy of 50 hours or windshield time, if you can spread it out longer I would certainly do so. We spent a few days in Disney Land and then stopped at many places along the way home to absorb the rest of the time so it wasn't such a rush to get home to go back to work.

If I had it my way it would have been a two month trip, not two weeks. 

I was thinking a 2-3 month haul. This wouldn’t be for a few more years thou.

I don’t think we will go to CA. More north. Think I’ll put my first push pin on the map today.

Maybe throw a dart instead. 

I have ben west several times with the coach since I retired. When planning I use 50 mph as a standard/average. It is hard to make suggestions without knowing what you are interested. Really there are years worth of things to see and do going west. 

Like Joe said it depends on the time of the year what route you take. For starters you can just get on the Mass pike and go west. That will take you to Seattle.😄

Start with what have you seen or want to see along that route? Have you been to the Falls? Have you been to the Corning Glass museum? Have you been to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn? Mount Rushmore,Custer's last stand, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Glacier National Park. If you don't want to go to the coast you can drop south to Utah and see all the parks there. Arches, Canyonlands (all 3 sections) Zion. I liked Golden Spike National Historical Park. They have the same engines that were there that run up the track and reenact the meeting of the railroads. All that and the coast to.

No seriously did I get carried away? I haven't commented on I-70, I-40 or I-10 then you have the main north south roads.😁

Bill

Back in the 70s we traveled all 48 states at least once and many of them 2 or more times in 3 1/2 years.  This was during the summer as I was teaching then.  Lots to see and do. We used to write to the states we were going to and most of them sent us maps and brochures on things to see and do.

I may need to keep better records. All the lower 48 in the last 6 years. I will need to do some checking but may be closer to 3 times for a lot of them and places like the North East 4+.  Leaving next wednesday for Maine by way of Derborne.:P After we are through in New England I have to get back home and get ready to go to Minot then west.

Yes DD lots to see and do.

Bill 

I threw my first dart and missed the map, hmmm. We have never been in the "interior" parts of the states. Just the east and west coast and not in a RV.

We are kind of ocean lovers, soon it will be time to do some land lover things. All the things Bill mentioned would be places we would like to go.

We have only been to the falls. I need to look at the roads involved as far as elevations.. Was thinking of something like the Oregon trail with some deviations

and return thru the southern states. Kind of why I'm starting now as I have no clue yet where to go or how to get there. Or do no planning and just wing it, lol.

4 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Was thinking of something like the Oregon trail with some deviations

https://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Good idea, but much like the old route 66 mostly gone from useful travel. That is why I suggested I-90 (The Mass Pike) it goes all the way to the cost, all the places I mentioned are reachable from it. 

I need to look at the roads involved as far as elevations

Why, there isn't a maine road that should be a problem. 

Bill

We are kind of ocean lovers, 

We are ocean lovers also.  Been to a lot of beaches with the motorhome from Key West to Bay of Fundy to Alaska to Padre Island and all along the west coast.  Been to Hawaii over 30 times.  In the last 5 years been cruising to places where you can't drive a motorhome.  30 days to Tahiti, 49 days to the Mediterranean, 83 days to Russia, Asia, Australia, Fiji.  Next January going for 77 days around South America and Antarctic.  Lots to see and do.