rayin

Identify this MH

The only identification on it I could find says "Chevrolet". The interior appears like from the 1950's. Sorry for the poor picture, I had better ones, but a fat-fingered galoot deleted them.

IMG_1575 (2014_12_25 19_00_47 UTC).JPG

Try looking at a GM Windcruiser. They have a protrusion on the back that may fit the bill.

I"m at Fort Sam Houston and we have one in the park.

Herman that's one MH. The rear portion appears to be made from wood covered with fiberglass, while the rest of the coach appears to be fiberglass, which makes me suspect it may be home-made. Wayne you may be correct, but the pictures I find on the internet are in so much better condition I can't really determine if they are the same.

I lost many pictures when I was convinced to install a fresh copy of Windows 10  a year ago; worst  part - I had no current image/ backup, and now those I have are all jumbled together in various folders, instead of in their respective folders. I returned to where that MH was parked but it is now gone, I may return this month for another look. The owner may have it in the restoration stages.

I spotted a very old MH last year, but  DW frowns on my "adventures" that cause delays.

Herman I spent an hour searching through my pictures. I finally found more on my old unused smart phone. Seeing these pictures reminded me of the wooden board-box on the roof, which also looks like an owner add-on, perhaps not.

Samsung ACE 02-11-16 4-23-14 PM (2018_10_24 16_25_17 UTC).jpg

Samsung ACE 02-11-16 4-23-47 PM (2018_10_24 16_25_17 UTC).jpg

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Chevrolet Sportscoach?

I ran a search for those terms, and apparently you are correct; although my pictures have some differences from a 1972 I found on the internet. The one in my pictures must be an earlier year than 1973.

Thanks for identifying the mystery MH. BTW, that 1972 is still in use, with some deficiencies.

While searching I also came across this website: Pictures of old motor homes.

I had a customer who owned one of those and he also owned a front wheel drive motor home. The one in the picture with the wooden bubble top wasn't on his. The front wheel drive, he owned was powered by the front wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado. Was a pretty cool set up, but rather cumbersom to drive on curvey roads.

The give-a-way for me was the faint text going across the top of the grill - too much text for a Dodge and it looked somewhat like an old Chevy pickup grill. The hub caps were confusing though, since they resemble the old Dodge delta pattern logo.

That GMC motor home your customer had was (and still is) a rig with a cult-like following. Pretty ground-breaking technology for a motor home when it was released, with front-wheel drive, no rear axle, and air-bag suspension.

The early Sports Coach, had a Chevy engine and a Dodge chassis.   Not an unusual combination, between 1972 to 1983 coaches!

The FWD was a GMC...would like to have one! :wub:

On 5/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, RayIN said:

Herman I spent an hour searching through my pictures. I finally found more on my old unused smart phone. Seeing these pictures reminded me of the wooden board-box on the roof, which also looks like an owner add-on, perhaps not.

Samsung ACE 02-11-16 4-23-14 PM (2018_10_24 16_25_17 UTC).jpg

Samsung ACE 02-11-16 4-23-47 PM (2018_10_24 16_25_17 UTC).jpg

I cannot answer your question but, I  DO know the front GRILL and HUBCAPS on the MH in this pic are from a 1964-1966 C10 Chevrolet Pickup truck.

The different side windows and top, makes it look like 2 different RV's put together to make one!  Back in 1964-66, it was Dodge chassis and engine.  Winnebago came on the market in 1958, followed by Frank Motor Home (Travco), 1968 Ultra Van and by 1970 there was over 24,000 Motor homes on the road...the gas crunch of 72, caused all but a few to disappear.  These where all "Cookie Cutter" Class A's!  There was plenty of Bus Conversions, prior to 1930's thru today.  The early ones where owner conversion of Flexible, Grayhound buses!

The Chevy & Ford chassis was used on Class C, after 1972...Dodge was still popular on Class A's, until late 1970's. GMC from 1973 to 1978 is probably the best known & still on the road today, as both a RV & LEO/Military, Command Center!