Sign in to follow this  
Johnston

Flat towing 2019 Ford Edge

I compile Family RVing’s annual towing guide. The “2019 Towing Lineup,” published in the magazine’s January 2019 issue, did not include the 2019 Ford Edge, because when the magazine went to press, Ford had not approved the vehicle for flat towing behind a motorhome. However, Ford now says the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge is flat towable.

FMCA was contacted by one owner who attempted to follow the instructions for flat towing the vehicle. He said the procedure is so onerous, in terms of the number of steps and the physical demands, that the vehicle should not be considered towable.

I contacted Ford, and this was the response:

“. . . most newer Ford vehicles are prioritizing Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) activation technology, so the multiple steps listed are to ensure the EPB doesn’t activate while the vehicle is being towed. Most Edge customers aren’t looking to flat tow, so the process is a bit lengthier in favor of the new tech.”

Has anyone else attempted to flat tow the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge? If so, please share your experience with me, John Johnston, here or via email, jjohnston@fmca.com.

I was looking at a new 2019 Edge to replace my 2013 (that was flat towable).  I ended up with a 2018 Lincoln MKX instead due to the confusion with Edge brochures and owners manuals.

The manual says it is towable four down and to put it in the "Stay In Neutral" mode (see transmission section).   Going to the transmission section it tells you how to go into the Tow in Neutral mode and then says DO NOT TOW in this mode!  No way was I going to buy one!

Lenp

On 5/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, lenp said:

I was looking at a new 2019 Edge to replace my 2013 (that was flat towable).  I ended up with a 2018 Lincoln MKX instead due to the confusion with Edge brochures and owners manuals.

The manual says it is towable four down and to put it in the "Stay In Neutral" mode (see transmission section).   Going to the transmission section it tells you how to go into the Tow in Neutral mode and then says DO NOT TOW in this mode!  No way was I going to buy one!

Lenp

Lenp, the owners manual's flat-towing instructions say to follow the Manual Park Release procedure, which is in the Transmission section. The flat-towing instructions do NOT include putting the vehicle in Stay In Neutral mode (which is also in the Transmission section).