Johnston

Flat towing 2019 Ford Edge

I compile Family RVing’s annual towing guide. The “2019 Towing Lineup,” published in the magazine’s January 2019 issue, did not include the 2019 Ford Edge, because when the magazine went to press, Ford had not approved the vehicle for flat towing behind a motorhome. However, Ford now says the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge is flat towable.

FMCA was contacted by one owner who attempted to follow the instructions for flat towing the vehicle. He said the procedure is so onerous, in terms of the number of steps and the physical demands, that the vehicle should not be considered towable.

I contacted Ford, and this was the response:

“. . . most newer Ford vehicles are prioritizing Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) activation technology, so the multiple steps listed are to ensure the EPB doesn’t activate while the vehicle is being towed. Most Edge customers aren’t looking to flat tow, so the process is a bit lengthier in favor of the new tech.”

Has anyone else attempted to flat tow the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge? If so, please share your experience with me, John Johnston, here or via email, jjohnston@fmca.com.

I was looking at a new 2019 Edge to replace my 2013 (that was flat towable).  I ended up with a 2018 Lincoln MKX instead due to the confusion with Edge brochures and owners manuals.

The manual says it is towable four down and to put it in the "Stay In Neutral" mode (see transmission section).   Going to the transmission section it tells you how to go into the Tow in Neutral mode and then says DO NOT TOW in this mode!  No way was I going to buy one!

Lenp

On 5/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, lenp said:

I was looking at a new 2019 Edge to replace my 2013 (that was flat towable).  I ended up with a 2018 Lincoln MKX instead due to the confusion with Edge brochures and owners manuals.

The manual says it is towable four down and to put it in the "Stay In Neutral" mode (see transmission section).   Going to the transmission section it tells you how to go into the Tow in Neutral mode and then says DO NOT TOW in this mode!  No way was I going to buy one!

Lenp

Lenp, the owners manual's flat-towing instructions say to follow the Manual Park Release procedure, which is in the Transmission section. The flat-towing instructions do NOT include putting the vehicle in Stay In Neutral mode (which is also in the Transmission section).  

Anyone flat towing a 2019 Ford Edge ST. I have a 2019 Georgetown XL & had get a 6” drop hitch adapter in order to flat tow the Edge ST. Is there anyone else that had to do this?

Welcome to the forum.

I have had to get a drop hitch to make the tow bar within limits. Didn't nessacarely apply only to the Edge. 

Bill

On 5/3/2019 at 8:06 AM, Johnston said:

I compile Family RVing’s annual towing guide. The “2019 Towing Lineup,” published in the magazine’s January 2019 issue, did not include the 2019 Ford Edge, because when the magazine went to press, Ford had not approved the vehicle for flat towing behind a motorhome. However, Ford now says the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge is flat towable.

FMCA was contacted by one owner who attempted to follow the instructions for flat towing the vehicle. He said the procedure is so onerous, in terms of the number of steps and the physical demands, that the vehicle should not be considered towable.

I contacted Ford, and this was the response:

“. . . most newer Ford vehicles are prioritizing Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) activation technology, so the multiple steps listed are to ensure the EPB doesn’t activate while the vehicle is being towed. Most Edge customers aren’t looking to flat tow, so the process is a bit lengthier in favor of the new tech.”

Has anyone else attempted to flat tow the 2019 2.7-liter Ford Edge? If so, please share your experience with me, John Johnston, here or via email, jjohnston@fmca.com.

Mr. Johnston,

I am responding to your post of 5/3/2019.

We purchased our 2020 2.7 liter Ford Edge ST in December of 2019 and have towed it since, without problem, until a trip we took on June 22, 2023.  That day, our Edge ST automatically applied the Electronic Parking Brake while being towed.  We had correctly followed the procedures for putting the car in tow mode and it towed normally for approximately 30 minutes before suddenly applying the Electronic Parking Brake and triggering a Powertrain Failure alert in my Ford App.  You can imagine the mayhem that ensued!  The only solution Ford offered was to replace the battery.  Doing so made NO difference.  The Edge ST still automatically applies the Electronic Parking Brake approximately 30 minutes after being put in tow mode.  We have tested it several times with the car in our garage. 

Has anyone else reported a similar problem to you?  We have elevated our claim to Ford Corporate but have no confidence that it will be solved.

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated!

Nancy Stafford

Los Ranchos, NM

Wayne,

Our previous tow vehicle was a Lincoln MKX.  We had NO problems with it.  We are still investigating our issue.  Thus far we believe that the problem is the Electric Parking Brake technology which, we are told, was changed with the 2020 2.7 Liter AWD Edge ST.  I will post what I find out as I explore the issue with Ford Corporate.

Thanks. Our previous toad was an MKX. Battery would run down occasionally when in hilly country, but other than that it towed very well.

Looking forward to what ford has to say.