deluco

Valve Stem Extensions

Being new to RVing, one of my concerns has been maintenance of the tires and in particular, how to monitor the tire pressure. I purchased a tire pressure monitoring system then quickly realized that access to the valves on the rear four wheels was obstructed...that the outside rear tire stems pointed inward, and the inside rear tire stems could not be reached. I investigated valve stem extensions. I'm receiving alot of free advice, from don't install them to only use straight extensions on the inside wheels. Even tire stores are reluctant to install extensions it seems.

What can you tell me about what to do about this? I feel that especially with the rear tires, I have to insure that I monitor the pressure, as I could easily have a leak or flat in a rear inside tire and probably not even notice it 'til the outside tire blew.

Guest BillAdams

I had straight extensions on my rear drive tires and no one ever told me that this could be an issue. While driving down a Canadian highway I heard a thumping sound and found the inside PS tire was flat. No bang, just flat. I was able to get to a tire shop and get the tire replaced but we found that the extension had broken. This kind of extension is fine to use but you must provide a support structure due to the length to prevent the vibration from cracking the stem. Most users install a rubber grommet in the outside wheel hole and this will hold the stem in place. I have always wondered how the TPMS sensors would effect valve stems in general so someone will have to give you more details there and if the U-shaped extensions have to be supported somehow as well when you add a monitor.

Guest Wayne77590

I am very interested in this subject.

I recently had an episode where the inside dual went flat. It was discovered that the "braided" vavle extension had developed a leak. It was NOT the braid, but the anchored end on the rim cover that leaked where the braid and chrome head came together. I have had those removed and just a staight 6 inche extension added. I made a 3 week trip and air pressure remains at a constant pressure. I do check my air pressure before each trip.

I also would like to install my TST TPMS, but I am afraid of what Bill has stated. How are they going to affect the stems as they are not mounted. It seems that 2 ounces of a 3/4 to 1 inch round little ball on the end of a valve could affect how the valve operates. Also, how would it affect the balance of the tire.

I am seriously going to look into Dually Valve Extension from the company in the link.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide.

Our current motor home had flexible valve extensions for both inside and outside duals mounted to the hub cover when we got it in November 2003. I added Pressure Pro monitors to them in 2008 and have had no problems with them to date. The two extensions are mounted 180 degrees apart and of course are close to the center of rotation so adding the monitors shouldn't affect the balance. After reading of Wayne's experience, I'll give them a careful examination for any signs of wear.

I am very interested in this subject.

snip

I am seriously going to look into Dually Valve Extension from the company in the link.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide.

My tires are six years old and I will replacing them soon. When I do I will have the Dually Valves installed.

I have the Pressure Pro sensors installed on my flexible extenders now. I have put pieces of corrugated wiring loom cover on the extenders because I was getting some wear where they go though the wheel covers.

Guest 2driftrs

Well, folks, our current rig has had wire braid flex extenders on it for ten years come next month. Sometime last year, we installed the TST pressure monitor system. When we did, I noticed the flex extenders were getting a bit stiff, so we're replacing them with the same braided ones we put on ten years ago.

On the duals, the flex extender comes with a spring wire retainer to prevent the extension from rubbing on the wheel or wheel covers. Adding the pressure monitors did not create any balance problems as we kept the monitors opposite each other. And because the pressure sensor sits at the end of the extension, if the extension leaks, the pressure monitor will show dropping air pressure.

The TST system has performed well with no major problems. Our biggest complaint is that you have to remove the pressure sensor to add air, but fortunately, we don't have to do that very often.

Being new to RVing, one of my concerns has been maintenance of the tires and in particular, how to monitor the tire pressure. I purchased a tire pressure monitoring system then quickly realized that access to the valves on the rear four wheels was obstructed...that the outside rear tire stems pointed inward, and the inside rear tire stems could not be reached. I investigated valve stem extensions. I'm receiving alot of free advice, from don't install them to only use straight extensions on the inside wheels. Even tire stores are reluctant to install extensions it seems.

What can you tell me about what to do about this? I feel that especially with the rear tires, I have to insure that I monitor the pressure, as I could easily have a leak or flat in a rear inside tire and probably not even notice it 'til the outside tire blew.

After having problems with the pressurized braided estensions, I went with the solid unpressurized extensions with no more problems. I use the valve caps that you do not remove for testing. Now have 166,000+ miles on my 94 Bounder.

First, I have solutions for accessibility to dual wheel valve stems.

Second, I do not like extensions. They're a source of leaks, and it's not IF but WHEN.

The solution to easily accessing the outside dual wheel valve stem is:

1. Loosen the nut securing the valve stem in the wheel.

2. Rotate it 90 degrees. (direction is your choice)

3. Re-tighten the nut.

4. Use a soap solution to ensure there is no leakage.

The reason the valve stems are positioned toward the wheel mating surface comes from the trucking industry.

All wheels on semi-trailers and on older tractors are the same.

(Not so on your coach. Most have 3 different wheels.)

When tire maintenance was performed on truck running gear, it didn't matter which wheel went on the inside or outside.

They were all identical. That made re-installation a no-brainer.

The solution for accessing the inside dually, for many tire monitoring system, is simple.

1. Get a 1" 12-point socket

2. Connect it to a 12' extension

3. Press the sensor lightly into the socket.

4. Insert the socket w/sensor through the hole in the outside dually and thread the sensor in place.

5. When properly tightened, wiggle the extension side to side to loosen its grip on the sensor and remove.

Note: Before attempting to thread the sensor on to the inside stem, check to make sure the valve stem is "looking" straight

out the hole in the outside dually. If it is, proceed to thread the sensor in place.

If it is not lined up well enough to ensure against cross-threading, take a piece of 3/8" copper tubing (or equivalent) about a foot long

and slide it over the inside stem. Bend the stem until you can safely thread the sensor on.

A tire monitoring system allows you to electronically check pressures, you probably will not have to remove and re-install the sensor more than a couple times a year, if that.

For those of you who do not have a tire monitoring system, I suggest you install, 4" long SOLID metal extensions on the

inside duallies. I want to make two points if you must do this.

1. Apply a SMALL amount of paste thread sealant to the inside valve stem threads. Do Not attempt to put the sealant into the threads

of the extension just because it's easier. You could displace enough sealant to clog the valve core seal. OOPs.

2. There are rubber 'grommets' that install in the holes in the outside wheel that support the weight of the stem at high speeds. I would

urge you to use them.

Thanks for reading.

Gil Forbes

Our coach (2001 Aerbus 3550 BSL) had the braided stainless valve stem extensions on it when we bought it in 2004. I check the pressure before every trip and until last year had no issues. Last year I noticed the RH inside dual was low everytime I checked, losing about 5 psi per day and I thought it might be time to replace the tires. A local tire shop who handles trucks and motorhomes checked and found that it was the extension that was leaking where it had a pretty sharp bend and was touching the steel wheel. We couldn't find a set of new extensions at any of the RV suppliers, so we ordered them and the tire shop installed all four, figuring that if one was leaking it was time to replace them all. Checking my pressures during a subsequent trip, I found the inside dual leaking again. After returning home, I removed the shiny wheel trim ring and discovered that the tire shop had not properly installed the extension and crushed it against the wheel causing it to leak. It was a small detail, but a critical one. Obtaining a new single extension from the manufacturer, I installed it myself and properly aligned the wheel trim ring and have had no problems since. I like the extensions because they make checking the pressures easy. I use both a mechanical and digital tire pressure gage and always carry a 110v air compressor in the coach. Several times I have had to use it to inflate the tires of a friends coach during a camping trip, but fortunately have not had any serious tire trouble (yet) of my own.

2 cents worth

Another very satisfied user of Dually Valve Stems. No flex problems, no multiple fittings to leak, no gyrations trying to get gauges and air nozzles onto the stems to check pressure and add air. Get them installed when changing to new tires as the wheel has to be broken down to install. Went from stainless braids to these an am very happy with them. One of the better things I've done to my Rexhall.

For 3 years now I use the 4 inch solid extensions, and never an issue. i get accurate readings and no problems dealing with the braided extensions. I was told from the TPMS service tech, that the braided extensions will not always give you an accuarte reading. i will probably consider the dually valve extension when i have to replace the tires.

As quickly as I could after purchase of my coach, I installed Dually valve stems. They are rather pricey, buy they work and are quality. Install them correctly and you can check / add air with no problems. Installing TPS system is no problem, and you dont have to worry about the stems flopping around or breaking.

Wonderful devices - Recommend Dually valve stems.

CarlGeo

My coach came set up very well. The outside duals have the valve stems turned outward as described by Gil. The inside duals have long solid metal extensions. After driving the coach from TX to VA I found one inside dual flat. The repair place found one cracked extension. They gave me Alcoa stabilizers that fit in the outer wheel hole (note that I have Accuride wheels) around the inner dual extension to keep it from flexing while driving. That was 7 years and about 60k miles ago and they have been trouble free. I use Alligator caps so I can check pressure and add air without removing the valve caps. I can check my tire pressures in the time it takes me to walk around the coach and bend over at each wheel.

I tried a TPMS, and cut out the center of the rubber stabilizers to fit the inner wheel sensors. After 8 months I recently returned the TPMS after it proved to be much more trouble than it was worth. I stuck the stabilizers back together with black silicone caulk, but will pick up new ones next time I get by a truck tire service place.

My solution to checking pressure is a gauge with a straight connector and a "pull back" connector.

My solution to filling the tires is an air chuck with both a straight and a pull back connector. I added a tee fitting at the top with a standard air chuck on one side and a smaller chuck on the other to attach smaller compressors.

All the components are available from NAPA for around $50.

No extensions needed.

Jim Baskin

I had straight extensions on my rear drive tires and no one ever told me that this could be an issue. While driving down a Canadian highway I heard a thumping sound and found the inside PS tire was flat. No bang, just flat. I was able to get to a tire shop and get the tire replaced but we found that the extension had broken. This kind of extension is fine to use but you must provide a support structure due to the length to prevent the vibration from cracking the stem. Most users install a rubber grommet in the outside wheel hole and this will hold the stem in place. I have always wondered how the TPMS sensors would effect valve stems in general so someone will have to give you more details there and if the U-shaped extensions have to be supported somehow as well when you add a monitor.

Our coach (2001 Aerbus 3550 BSL) had the braided stainless valve stem extensions on it when we bought it in 2004. I check the pressure before every trip and until last year had no issues. Last year I noticed the RH inside dual was low everytime I checked, losing about 5 psi per day and I thought it might be time to replace the tires. A local tire shop who handles trucks and motorhomes checked and found that it was the extension that was leaking where it had a pretty sharp bend and was touching the steel wheel. We couldn't find a set of new extensions at any of the RV suppliers, so we ordered them and the tire shop installed all four, figuring that if one was leaking it was time to replace them all. Checking my pressures during a subsequent trip, I found the inside dual leaking again. After returning home, I removed the shiny wheel trim ring and discovered that the tire shop had not properly installed the extension and crushed it against the wheel causing it to leak. It was a small detail, but a critical one. Obtaining a new single extension from the manufacturer, I installed it myself and properly aligned the wheel trim ring and have had no problems since. I like the extensions because they make checking the pressures easy. I use both a mechanical and digital tire pressure gage and always carry a 110v air compressor in the coach. Several times I have had to use it to inflate the tires of a friends coach during a camping trip, but fortunately have not had any serious tire trouble (yet) of my own.