mirogail

Difficulty climbing stairs in RV--Solutions??

Do you have good handrails on both sides of the steps? That would be my first thought. Of course, teaching the dogs to jump up on their own would probably help too. Maybe getting them a lightweight step would allow them to be on their own, leaving you free to use the handrails.

Can you climb 4 inch stairs? If so, I can offer a very inexpensive option. There are also lifts available that work amazingly well and the maker can fit almost any coach.

By the way welcome to the forum!:rolleyes:

A little more info on your RV will be helpful, also a picture of the stairs from the outside looking into the RV.

On May 4, 2019 at 4:54 PM, kaypsmith said:

Can you climb 4 inch stairs? If so, I can offer a very inexpensive option. There are also lifts available that work amazingly well and the maker can fit almost any coach.

By the way welcome to the forum!:rolleyes:

A little more info on your RV will be helpful, also a picture of the stairs from the outside looking into the RV.

Interested in the 4" stair option as well as lifts. Have searched for lifts but can't really locate anything that looks good.  Any websites you could recommend , Kay ? My wife has to crawl up steps in our Class A 😟😟

3 hours ago, RKSPAS said:

Interested in the 4" stair option as well as lifts

The 4" stair option is very simple, you should measure how tall the stairs are now, then divide by two. I was planning on making some blocks to take picture of today but didn't doe to bad weather here. My stairs in my coach are 9" tall so I will be making 4.5". Measure the width of the stair tread and you can use 2X8 lumber cut several pieces to the length that the stairs are wide, then stack enough blocks together and use drywall screws to hold them together. You can now place these blocks on either left or right side nest to the wall going up the stairs. It takes only a few tries for the stair climber to get used to using this arrangement, if the block is on the right side, the climber simply side steps the right foot up and onto the block,, holding onto the stair rail simply lift the left leg up and onto the next step, this actually cuts the stair height in half for climbing purposes. This method has helped many in the past to navigate those high stairs in the past. My wife has been a caregiver for elderly people for many years causing me to try help in making them more comfortable with stair situations in homes as well as RV's. I will try to make a couple up tomorrow for pictures. Oh yes, the blocks can be covered with carpet or any other materials for a more pleasing look, and stick on Velcro makes a good source to make sure they stay in place. The lift systems are mounted on a pole mounted just inside the door and use a chair to sit in similar to a stair climber in a home, get in touch with a mobility dealer, these are hard to find on the internet but are available. Good luck, and I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Here is a youtube video for one version of a chair lift.

Kaypsmith: Thank you for taking time to share your information. The lift you show is is similar to one I had seen work  before, but was never able to find it on-line. Will definitely be looking into it ASAP. Looks like the ideal solution for my wife!!

As promised, I am attaching pictures of my stair cheater blocks. You can actually stack books for a trial run to accomplish the same results, but please do not use them too many times for safety sake. First pic, is without, stairs are 26 inches wide and the blocks are 7.25", leaving 16.75". I will cover these with stainless steel and aluminum diamond plate on the top to match the stainless surrounding them. Google chair lift for RV to find them. But if the DW isn't too bad yet, you may want to just try the stair cheaters, amazing how well they work. God bless, and good luck.:rolleyes:

20190510_113505.jpg

20190510_120923.jpg

20190510_121215.jpg

Kay, I love the concept of the blocks. I have a friend whose wife is having issue with their steps.

My only concern, and I know it can be worked out, the top step with a sliding step cover. Let's think about that but the concept is great. I am going to pass the pictures to him.

Thanks, 

Herman

Thanks, Herman and Brett. Once they are covered I'll take a couple more pictures. They should remain below the sliding floor. The results are that are half the height of a regular step which keeps from the need of lifting the legs the full height of a regular step which in turn causes only half of the exertion making for less giving out while climbing, The outside can use a simple platform type step carried either in the coach or in a bay. It only takes one or two climbs by the user to learn how to best maneuver.