Sign in to follow this  
ljcourt

Replace TV Cable in Roof

I have a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus and the TV Cable running from the antenna into the Wingard distribution center needs to be replaced. I have tried pulling it out from the roof but it seems to be connected somewhere in the roof. Has anybody replaced their cable and could provide some guidance on what to do. Or, if you had this done by an experience service person please provide details who and where.

I have tested the cable from the aerial to the roof all is fine.  I have then put a long cable from roof to inside MH Wingard distribution center and now the TV is receiving channels.

Thanks

lj,

Do you have a cabinet right under the antenna? If so I found a coupler in a covered area in the cabinet. However I may missing something here, you said "I have tested the cable from the aerial to the roof all is fine." are you saying that you have checked the entire cable for the Antenna to the distribution box and all is fine?

Herman

Have you done a continuity test on the coax? disconnect both ends and use an ohm meter on either end and test between the inside wire and the outside braid (the part that screws on will do fine), if zero or very low ohms, the coax is shorted, possibly a screw through the coax or a sharp bend in the coax. If high ohm resistance, this what you want to see. Next short the other end wire to braid and look for same results, you will want to see zero to 1 or 2, otherwise the cable is broken. Try putting on new F connectors both ends before replacing the cable, Walmart, lowes, Home depot and other fine retailers carry a screw on version. Many times the braid will break away from the connectors and give bad results, seldom does the coax itself go bad unless hit by lightening, or someone drives a screw or nail through it.

The original cable is probably tied down in several spots and therefore can't be replaced without doing a major tear-apart project.  I just had DISH King Pro Dual installed on my Tiffin Allegro Bus, they ran new coax to the front TV and tried to use a splitter to go to the  existing wiring... didn't work well.  After talking with the DISH tech and him advising not to use a splitter nor the existing cable (do to age and who knows what might be inline) I have it back in the shop for them to do the job right and run a new coax on the roof and into the rear bedroom.  A bit disappointed that they didn't do it right the first time...

If they did not do it right the first time...why not find someone else to do it?  Or is the shop not charging you for the correction?

Why not go wireless from front to back? I did this for several years with no problems in my old coach. You can use uhf controls and no need for IR, or paying to replace wiring. And one other suggestion if a wire is necessary, if you have ducted roof air, the coax can be run inside the ductwork.