eric@babin.com

CLASS A STEPS NOT GOING IN

This is to assist those that have issues with their steps coming in.  Mine were stuck in the open/out position even after ignition was turned on.

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42qd

Issue: Steps would not retract.

Normally it's the sensor on the door jam that needs it's contacts cleaned up with a little sandpaper scratch and rubbing alcohol.

This time.... that didn't work. 

Breaker was good.  Switch was tested in both positions.... still didn't work. 

I closed the contact on the bottom 2 contacts using a copper penny.... the steps came in.

My assumption was there was an issue with the door side sensor pad.

I had to remove the door stop arm in order to open the door enough to take the door side sensor pad off.

Once I pulled it off, there was one of the four wires that had come loose.

I had to use a flashlight and needle nose pliers to fish the wire out of the door.

I attached the wire, crimped it, then used electrical tape to hold it on just a little bit better this time.

I tested it prior to putting it back in. It did work.  I THINK there may be a way to install it upside down so be sure to test it prior to putting everything back together. 

Buttoned everything back up and it works!!!!

Pictures:

1470 - sensor pads.... left side is door jam, right side is door.

IMG_1470.jpg

1471 - door sensor pad pulled out showing loose / missing wire (it had fallen into the door)

IMG_1471.jpg

1472 - top of door jam showing I removed all those screws of the door stop arm so I could open the door enough to remove the door side sensor pad

IMG_1472.jpg

1473 - door side sensor pad with the loose wire re-attached, and prior to adding electrical tape for "insurance". 

IMG_1473.jpg

Just think, an rv repair shop would have charged you $135/hr+parts, environmental fee, shop supplies, state and local taxes; when they had time to diagnose, order parts, reschedule time to perform the repairs. You probably saved yourself several hundred dollars and 2-3 weeks in-shop time.

It's great when something works out like this. This kind of repair is why we carry basic electrical repair parts/tools in our spares kit.

15 hours ago, RayIN said:

Just think, an rv repair shop would have charged you $135/hr+parts, environmental fee, shop supplies, state and local taxes; when they had time to diagnose, order parts, reschedule time to perform the repairs. You probably saved yourself several hundred dollars and 2-3 weeks in-shop time.

What he said. Now go out and buy a six pack of beer with the savings and relish the moment.

I just love it when a plan comes together.