Sign in to follow this  
wayne77590

Supreme Court: Retirees Can Be Court-Martialed for Crimes Committed After Service

This does present some serious problems as well. Convictions by civil authorities can cause you to lose retirement benefits.  Drunk driving while retired? Smoking marijuana where it is illegal?  Adultery after retirement? Disrespect to the President?  Just to name a few.

Military Retirees subject to UCMJ

"Retired" is really a misnomer.

"Retirees (those who spend at least 20 years in the military and draw retired pay) can be recalled to active duty for life. However, the policy established in DOD Directive 1352.1 - Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members, makes the recall to active duty unlikely for those who have been retired for more than five years, and those over age 60."

Five, that is absolutely true, but it does not apply to my original post as the post refers to prosecution under the UCMJ. Doesn't mater how long one has been out.

My personal opinion is that the mention of being recalled to active duty should not have been part of that article.

I would suggest reading Article 2 and 3 of the UCMJ. It's online.

Also. Army and Air Force can be retired after 20 years.  Navy  and Marine Corps are transferred to the Fleet Reserves and after 30 years. retired.

In all probability a member would not be recalled but it has happened in the past. If it is a crime against National Security then a recall and punishment under the UCMJ would most likely happen.