kaelalynn

Air suspension alarm on going off intermittently

The front air suspension alarm on my 2003 Damon Escaper is going off intermittently. It will drop to zero pounds and then peg out at 150 before settling down at about 125, only to repeat. It will have long periods of silence by reading the correct pressure. The noise is very unsettling for one of my dogs!  Suggestions on where to start looking or what parts to switch out would be very welcome. 

15 hours ago, kaelalynn said:

The noise is very unsettling for one of my dogs!

More unsettling is that you really won't know when you have an actual problem on your hands since you're becoming accustomed to hearing the false alarms.

Do you have a mechanical gauge for your air system? Or some way to verify the actual pressure at the time the alarm is screaming at you? If you do and the pressure is holding at the proper level, then I'd suspect that you either have a failing sensor or a failing conductor/connector. You could have a wire which is separating from the connector on the end, and when you hit a bump or the suspension moves in a certain way it puts enough tension on it to separate the connection.

The fact that your reading seems to jump back and forth when you have the issue leads me towards an intermittent connection problem. Perhaps you can check the connections/wiring again. Only this time, have someone watch the reading inside while you go outside and jiggle and pull on every wire and connector you can find that is related. Just be sure to stay safe if you have to get under the coach to do this by properly supporting the coach first.

Following up on what Richard suggested; it would take a bit of work, but you might consider installing a Tee in the air line to the front air springs, then run a pressure hose to a manual pressure gauge in the cockpit. When this monitoring test is completed, remove the Tee and splice the line, or simply leave the Tee in place and cap the open port.

The symptoms STRONGLY suggest an electrical issue (rapid cycling from low to high PSI-- far faster than could occur with load/compressor).

So, I would start with cleaning/tightening the electrical connections before cutting into the air system.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:26 PM, kaelalynn said:

The front air suspension alarm on my 2003 Damon Escaper is going off intermittently. It will drop to zero pounds and then peg out at 150 before settling down at about 125, only to repeat. It will have long periods of silence by reading the correct pressure. The noise is very unsettling for one of my dogs!  Suggestions on where to start looking or what parts to switch out would be very welcome. 

Like Brett asked, What chassis is the Coach built on?  Could be an issue if they used a VDU module !

Hard to offer good and relevant information with out good information.

Rich.

Rich suggested the VDU problem , the predecessor for the LBCU. I had the exact same issue with my 2008 Freightliner chassis mh due to a faulty wiring harness connecting the LBCU. I believe the VDU problem was a weak solder joint, right Rich?