TJ2251

Discontinued Radiator Hose

I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey that I'm having service at a Freightliner Truck Service Center here in Byron Ga. They tell me that the lower radiator hose is no longer available, both from Freightliner and from aftermarket sources. Has anyone else run into this and what was your solution.

It's built on the Freightliner XC chassis with. the 275 HP Cummins 5.9.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tj

When I had to replace my lower hose I went to the auto parts store with my tape measure and looked through all the hoses in stock and found the right diameter and bends and then cut to fit.

On many engines they don't use a single-piece radiator hose - they have rubber hose on each end that make up the bend(s), and then the center straight portion is made of metal tubing of the correct diameter. Maybe something can be fabricated like this for your engine.

What I don't understand is why the shop isn't being at least a little creative on this one. Usually these guys are pretty good at coming up with solutions to problems like this.

I've been kinda disappointed by their lack of effort to come up with something. As for tracking it down on my own, I'll have to wait till I get the coach back to do that. I was kind of hoping someone had run into this and found one for something else that worked, so I could pass it along to the service people so they could complete the job. 

TJ. Sometimes it comes down to fear of a liability issue. 

Maybe if you send a PM to Desertdeals69 ,and ask if he has a part number filed somewhere. 

The to coaches are real close in age and the layout could be real close!

Rich.

2 hours ago, TJ2251 said:

I've been kinda disappointed by their lack of effort to come up with something. As for tracking it down on my own, I'll have to wait till I get the coach back to do that. I was kind of hoping someone had run into this and found one for something else that worked, so I could pass it along to the service people so they could complete the job. 

The entire industry is lacking knowledgeable people and then world is lacking people that care. Most are not skilled enough to think outside the box. 

As mentioned photo it with some dimensions (overall all length, inlet and outlet inside measurements) and post them after a call into Freightliner if that yields no results. 

Do you have the part number that they are looking for? If so, you might be able to find one yourself by searching online. When they said that the part is no longer available, that only means that it's not available through their parts suppliers and resources. I guarantee that this is more important to you than it is to them, and that you are more inclined to spend the time necessary to find the part. I'd put money that there is a radiator hose hanging in a parts warehouse somewhere that will fit your rig.

Post the part number here and maybe someone will have luck helping you find one.

I should be getting the coach back early this week. When I do I'll be able to take measurements, take pics, etc. to try further toget something going. Right now I don't have access to the coach. Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I'll post more in the coming days once the coach is here.

1 hour ago, TJ2251 said:

I should be getting the coach back early this week. When I do I'll be able to take measurements, take pics, etc. to try further toget something going. Right now I don't have access to the coach. Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I'll post more in the coming days once the coach is here.

Get the hose back. Take the hose to the parts store with you. When they say what is it to say "I don't know my buddy sent me to get one just like this". You may have to try a couple places but I bet they have one that will work. They also have universal hoses, just find one long enough and the right diameter. 

Bill

Once you have the hose and/or part number, you can also go to a local radiator shop that specializes in truck radiators. They will have contacts and supply sources different from those at the Freightliner dealer's repair center. If they can't find the exact hose, they should be able to make one from pieces that will work. It's just plumbing, and there are endless possibilities for someone with the knowledge, skill, and desire to get the job done.