Sign in to follow this  
bobanderson294

Connecting my MH to a 20amp house outlet

MAYBE.

Turn off everything else (like battery charger, refrigerator to propane, etc)

Plug in.

Turn on A/C while watching voltage.  If above 108 VDC you should be OK.

The MAYBE part comes in because we don't know the size of the wiring in the house and the length of the run from breaker box.  Smaller gauge wire and longer run could make voltage dangerously low.

When you used the term AC units it made me think that you may have wanted to run both of them, and that will not work at all, each of them very likely draws about 12 to 16 amps of current and you may well be able to run one of them, but not both, and all of the above comments on wire sizes and voltages are also very appropriate. You must be careful about the voltage being applied to the AC unit since voltage that is too low will damage the AC unit, and there is also the caveat about not overloading the coach wiring. All of that having been said, I have plugged my coach into a 15 amp receptacle in my house and run one AC unit at a time to check them out, but I do not run them for an extended period of time on that connection, it is too likely to overheat the cables for my taste, not that it can't be done, but I would be acutely aware of any abnormalities and especially overheating of any part of the coach or house wiring. 

Prior to having a 50 amp service put in I ran off of 120v in my prior 2007 Montana 5th wheel. I ran 1 AC with no problems. We learned quickly that if DW want to run the vacuum cleaner the AC needs to go off.  I used the shortest 12 gauge cord I could from the garage outlet to the RV and used the 50 to 120v adapter.  What worked for me may or may not work for you.

As Brett stated, measure the voltage with the AC load on it and if it is above 108v you should not have a problem.  Also, check with your hand at the power connections for excessive heat. If it is hot to the touch, stop using it. It will not take long to heat up if there is a problem, just monitor it.