garwf1789

Safe route from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone

Question

We are making an RV trip out west in mid-June and I just read where the route I planned on from Rapid City, SD to Cody, WY was not safe for motor homes.  Specifically, I am talking about from I-90 west on US14 or US16 …. both are listed as not recommended for trucks and motor homes.  It appears I could take I-25 south to Casper and then US20 and US16 west but that is going really out of way.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Where did you get that info? I have run US16 in an 18 wheeler from I -90  as well as US 14. Get yourself  a Motor Carriers Road Atlas. Most  big truck stops have them, or order one on the net.  An essential tool when running a motorhome. 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, obedb said:

Where did you get that info? I have run US16 in an 18 wheeler from I -90  as well as US 14. Get yourself  a Motor Carriers Road Atlas. Most  big truck stops have them, or order one on the net.  An essential tool when running a motorhome. 

14 and 16 are both highlighted in yellow in my truckers road atlas, that means if they are safe to travel for fully-loaded semi-tractor trailers, the must be safe for my MH+towed too.  I drove both state highways about 20 years ago with my pickup and 5er.

Now the 87(sharp curves, narrow) has a 10' clearance tunnel, I watched the commotion when 2 MH's ignored the yellow 4'X8' sign at the junction with 16, there were 2 miffed state troopers working to get them backed out the 3 miles to the nearest turnaround.