tireman9

Testing TPMS

I have been reading on a few RV forums of people having problems with their TPMS. Readings of 400 psi or 220.

It looks like many of the problems of TPMS can be traced to old batteries or maybe poor TPM maintenance. 

I have a blog post on Testing your TPMS. If you don't do this at least once a year you might end up with a malfunction.

Have you ever heard of issues with the sensors changing their accuracy?

I've got the TireMinder system installed. Last year the system read about 2-3 psi higher than my manual tire gauge. This year it's consistently reading about 6-8 psi higher than my gauge. I have changed the batteries in all tire sensors, but the readings remain the same. Tires are all set at 97 psi - used my main gauge and my backup which show the same 97 psi. The TPMS is showing 103-105 psi for the tires.

I know that what's important is for the TPMS to show me when the pressure changes, but it is puzzling why the accuracy seems to have changed from last year to this year.

Tireman, never had this issue with Pressure Pro or EEZTIRE. Both worked flawlessly. TireMinder on the other hand, I had more problems than I can shake a stick at and even care to remember, as I am typing this I can feel the frustration coming back.

I don't remember being asked about TPMS reading changing from new. Many first-time TPMS users get a little concerned about the pressure or temperature difference, but I have pointed out that TPMS companies claim  +/- a few percent accuracy, which I consider acceptable, as you should be setting your COLD pressure using your hand gauge that you have confirmed against your own "Master Gauge".

Richard, Are all your readings different from when the system was new?  I would be surprised to see all 6 sensors all change a similar amount and would be more suspect of your main gauge.  How do you store your main gauge? Do you use it all the time when setting pressure? Is it sitting in the bottom of your toolbox?   What about your "back-up"?  You should have one gauge, your "Master" that you only use to check against your day to day gauge.

The less often you use a gauge the less likely it will go out of calibration.  I depend on my TPMS for my "daily" pressure check.  I only use my hand gauge when actually adjusting (adding air). My "Master" gauge is ONLY used when I suspect some problem with my hand gauge or I get some strange readings.

Joe, agree!  My Tireminders are floating in the Gulf of Mexico!

PP cost more & well worth it...Must be a reason why, high end coaches come with them!

41 minutes ago, manholt said:

PP cost more & well worth it...Must be a reason why, high end coaches come with them!

41 minutes ago, manholt said:

What system do you run now?

Since I will be getting 8 new tires, next week, I will also have new sensors! :)  Batteries are over 50% of a new sensor.

Pressure Pro...came with coach.  Replaced batteries once, this time  all new!  They are compatible with my Silverleafe Computer!

8 hours ago, tireman9 said:

Richard, Are all your readings different from when the system was new?  I would be surprised to see all 6 sensors all change a similar amount and would be more suspect of your main gauge.  How do you store your main gauge? Do you use it all the time when setting pressure? Is it sitting in the bottom of your toolbox?   What about your "back-up"?  You should have one gauge, your "Master" that you only use to check against your day to day gauge.

The less often you use a gauge the less likely it will go out of calibration.  I depend on my TPMS for my "daily" pressure check.  I only use my hand gauge when actually adjusting (adding air). My "Master" gauge is ONLY used when I suspect some problem with my hand gauge or I get some strange readings.

Pretty much, yes. All tires are showing a few psi higher this year than last. I use the same gauge to fill them as last year, and then I used the same backup 'master gauge' to confirm that I wasn't crazy. The Tireminder is consistent and still shows if pressure goes up or down, but it definitely is showing a higher pressure than last year even though the tires were filled to the same exact 95 psi.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, manholt said:

Tireman.

Why do we, on this Forum, have to pay for your Blogs & Links?  

You do not have to pay for my blog or links. Simply entering       www.RVTireSafety.net         as the URL of interest gets you to my blog.  No membership required to read any of the 300+ posts.

When I provide a hot link to a blog post on this forum clicking on it should take you to the post of interest.

Who told you that you had to pay?  Maybe I am missing out on some income 😄

On 6/3/2019 at 5:47 PM, manholt said:

Since I will be getting 8 new tires, next week, I will also have new sensors! :)  Batteries are over 50% of a new sensor.

Could you explain the "Batteries are over 50% of a new sensor" comment?

The batteries on my TireTraker TPMS run less than $2 for the name brand CR1632 Lithium.

Amazon has some less than $1 each

New sensors run $35

TST sensors are listed for $47.50  and they use the same CR1632 batteries.

The factory, sends you 8 back if you send in the 8 you have!  Pressure Pro is what I have...The last set, lasted 5 years.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, manholt said:

Tireman.

Why do we, on this Forum, have to pay for your Blogs & Links?  

Is there anyone else having this problem of being asked to pay to view my RV Tire Blog?  I can't fix the problem if I can't identify it.