rayin

TruckClaws for MDT, MH, and HDT wheels

While perusing the Iowa 80 truck stop website I stumbled upon this product for those muddy situations: TruckClaws. They are not cheap @ $300/pr, only 1 pr required for each drive axle per their video at the bottom of the page.I suspect that is still less money than just one tow out by a commercial wrecker. I may buy a pair for JIC security that I may find my MH stuck in a muddy field sometime.

Verify you have clearance to body and suspension components.  If insufficient clearance, those things could do some SERIOUS damage.

I would do a pre-fit before actual use, even though they show them on a  class A MH in one of the videos. The also show them used on a pickup and SUV, even though the initial wording says commercial use only. The video that really got me was the semi using them on solid ice covering pavement. It deflected the tire by at least 2" as it ran over the TruckClaw, that had to damage the belting. I would never use them on pavement after watching the video, the sock would be better for that use IMO.

They would be a boon at a rainwater soaked rally field.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

How do they work in mud? Watched someone stick a 40' Tiffin yesterday he backed diagonally across the graveled area on his site and got in some soft stuff. The tred filled up and he couldn't get traction. I was out walking the dog and asked if he needed help and was told "No he knew what he was doing" So I just kept walking the dog. I might have learned something. They were stacking 2X6s  to make 4X6s across in front of the tires that were 4-6 in down in the mud. Surprisingly the coach wouldn't climb out even with the throttle wide open.:o

Bill

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Why would we want to do snow, ice and mud?

Bill, the Dude needs driving lessons, not 2x4's!

Been stuck in mud at a rally yet? No-one wants that,but we all want out.

17 hours ago, manholt said:

Why would we want to do snow, ice and mud?

Bill, the Dude needs driving lessons, not 2x4's!

No he told me he knew what he was doing.🤣

I have had to fight the mud before in different places. I try to stay away from the snow and ice.

Bill

5 hours ago, RayIN said:

Been stuck in mud at a rally yet? No-one wants that,but we all want out.

Not yet, and I fear it. 

On 5/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, hermanmullins said:

I can see those things chewing into a tag wheel in a hurry. 

Herman

If there is less than 4" between drive and tag axle tires, I think there is a different issue.

Bill I'd have to measure my front/back clearance before purchase too. They might just gather dust in the basement and never used, but just one use would be worth the price. The one video shows them on a MH of some brand. My wife is improving to the point we may be able to resume traveling some again, I may just follow through with this product. If my MH rears don't have enough clearance from compartments, I'll settle for strap-on chains.

I wouldn't spend money on any of these devices. For one my clearance is to close and I Have only been slightly stuck once in the last 6 years. I got out of that using cat litter for grip. I guess if I get stuck I will test my FMCA roadside assistance.:o

Bill

I can't use them. I just measured clearance. I have 5" between rear tires and compartment walls,  if the MH rocks sideways about 2" between tire and fender skirt panel. They might clear, but if contact was made the resulting damage would surely cost more than a winch-out.

Oh, well, it was a thought.