cagauthier@juno.com

Braking Systems match to vehicle

Need extensive advise!

Recently had a braking system installed on 2019 - F150. Something went wrong. Followed all instructions drove 10 miles …..Pickup and new Rv burnt up beyond repair.

Fire started in truck. Need to match the best braking system to vehicle for safe traveling. 

20190410_115720.jpg

cagauthier@juno.com,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sorry for your loss.

Was the cause of the fire determined?

Matching toad braking system  requires knowing what MOTORHOME and what TOAD you are considering.  Also, whether you change toads often, or you will keep your toad for years.

There is no "one system is best for all".

Wow, A lot of damage  !  Only driven for 10 miles, things had to heat up fast !

What braking system was install? Dealership installation?

Rich.

That's one thing we all fear...fire!  Very sad to see that.

My guess is that your truck was not free wheeling...what aux. break system did you have?

Something odd & familiar about that picture....

Yep...saw it on TV after Perry Rally, we was in Lafayette!  I still think the truck was in gear or Emergency brake was on!

Still, bad news... 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Yep...saw it on TV after Perry Rally, we was in Lafayette!  I still think the truck was in gear or Emergency brake was on!

Still, bad news... 

I don't think the E-brake was the cause or the rear tires would be aflame. If the transfer case was not disengaged it would get very hot, I know from experience, we didn't get our Jeep manual transfer case into neutral properly; we didn't know until another driver pulled alongside and flagged us down that the Jeep was smoking from under the hood. When I raised the hood the transfer case grease was boiling out of the pressure vent, and smoking.

The car would not move by itself with the transfer case in neutral, but the front wheels would turn the case gears anyway when towed. A mechanic readjusted the linkage so we hooked up again and away we went. This happened 3X that trip, but the Jeep was still running OK after a new case, until DW's near-fatal crash in 2016.

Now I know what could have happened.:(

To move forward with this thread, we really need some FACTS from the OP.

Not sure our speculation is of much value.

cagauthier@juno.com we look forward to hearing from you.