Sign in to follow this  
delbassman

Harley Lift & towed

I am considering adding a motorcycle lift to the rear of my Beaver Patriot Concord 33. It is already has the 3 hitch receiver set up. I plan in towing a 2600lb car 4 down as well. My main concern is drivability & rear end (bearing?) wear on the coach. My Harley weighs approx. 800lbs. I want to lower the lift to the ground to load/unload, so the lift is going to be of substantial weight being either electric (winch), or hydraulic powered. I've researched the cost if the lifts. Anywhere from approx. $2000 to over $5000. Plus shipping.

I'd appreciate input on from those currently using this set up. What type/make lift are you using & cost. And also from those who decided not to go this route & why?

The pics are: My coach side & rear ... My towed ... Various lift examples

Thanks in advance!

8336757_3.jpg

IMG_20180701_174339314_HDR~2.jpg

1555339026312.jpg

1000lb-Manual-Lift_a.jpg

IMG_20190415_144920827_HDR.jpg

I have a similar lift on my coach.  Be aware it will add significant weight to the rear axle due to the cantilever effect.  In my case my Street Glide (96#) added 1400 pounds putting me overweight on the rear axle.

Good formula for determining how much is added to rear and subtracted from front can be found here:  http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/motorcycle-lift-experience-305730.html

I do carry mine for short (300 miles or less) but no more as I am about 1600# over on the rear.  I am thinking about an Idaho Tote instead:  https://freedomhauler.com/

Lenp

I had overbilt lifts put one on my Am Eagle. They are absolutely over built. They are in Saugerties NY and are a family run op. I could not find their website for you so that could be a flag. They have been in business at least 25 years. They use the 3 point hitch so the actual lift itself would be pretty inexpensive if you already have the hitch. They ship anywhere. Website is (or used to be) www.overbiltlifts.net. They are worth a look if they are still in business. Good luck. 

I seriously considered going with the lift and towing 4 down or towing with a tow dolly.  Being full time the main reason boiled down to the fact I wanted a garage to keep my Harley in.  Plus in bad storm conditions even additional garage space where the car could be tucked away, so I went with an enclosed 24' trailer.

Of course the negatives by going this route is length.  There are some campgrounds we can not get into but so far it hasn't been an issue.

The past 2 weeks we have had to keep our enclosed trailer at one location about 10 miles from our current campground.  This is due to flooding in the area we are in and us having to stay at an alternative campground where both our RV and trailer would not fit.  For 2 weeks I have had to deal with my car and Harley sitting outside.  I keep the bike covered but everything still gets dirty.  

Someday if we decide to "shorten" our overall length I will probably get rid of the trailer and go with a left.

Joe S.

You can downside, with a used 16 foot Stacker Trailer...I had a 18, it held my 2007 HDCC Trike, Colorado 4 x 4, spare tires, ice chest, 30 gal of reg. gas and a 4kw generator for elect/AC!  I got mine in 2004, used and it cost me $27k, with new tires & break's...sold it in 2010 for $23,500!

I would get the coach weighed and know where you are at before adding all that weight off the end. I tow a full size truck behind my 94 Safari with 2 motorcycles in the bed keeping the weight of my coach rear end.