oldgrape

Enclosed Car Trailer Frame Design

Hello All,

I have a question about the two main car trailer frames you see on most enclosed car trailers. I have been looking and mostly you see either a 6" I-beam frame or a 2"x6" tube frame. I have read on an engineering site that the tube frame slightly edges the I-beam frame in overall strength. The issues with a tube frame are mainly rusting from inside out if moisture gets into it and if you bolt through it the tube can collapse (also can help moisture get in). The I-beam frame can twist or bend in heavy load if the frame is not braced properly. So my question is have any of you who pull an enclosed car hauler had any issue with either of those two types of frames.

The car I'm hauling is a 2007 MB ML350. It weighs in at 4700 lbs and is just short of 16' long. She will fit between the tire wells of an 8.5 wide car hauler. We are still wavering between a 20', 22', and a 24' enclosed car hauler. 

Your 40' Tour DP is rated for 10,000# towing...I had a 2007 WB Tour 40KD!  Go with a 20',  any longer & you risk the tail wagging the dog.  Not tubular!

I believe mine is a 2x6 hollow beam, but not 100% sure.  I went with a 24' V nose and haul a Mini Cooper, a Harley Trike, and numerous tools/equipment.  My total weight including the trailer is just over 9,700 pounds.  It pulls really great.  The only modification I did was upgrade the tires for a little extra weight.

14 hours ago, manholt said:

Your 40' Tour DP is rated for 10,000# towing...I had a 2007 WB Tour 40KD!  Go with a 20',  any longer & you risk the tail wagging the dog.  Not tubular!

I appreciate the detailed response about the weight and tail wagging. Is that because of the weight or the length? Also I guess you don't like tubular frames. Is it the rust issue or something else? The difference is about 200 lbs per 2 ft extra. so total weight of car and a 24' trailer is 8300 lbs, 22' will be 8100 lbs, and a 20' will be 7900 lbs. Those weights are based on a V-nose model with 2" x 6" tubular frame. Not sure if the I-beam is a lighter weight frame or not. Right now i'm leaning toward a 22' for a little extra room for the 2 bikes (pedal kind), and a couple lounge chairs, folding table, etc. I know weight adds up fast but doubt I will go over 600 or 700 extra pounds. But I'm still on the fence and undecided on the two types of frames. I know rust is an issue with a tubular frame if not properly sealed although it is slightly stronger than an I-beam frame. I am hoping more folks with both will weigh in on both options.