I have a 2004 Rexhall American Clipper.  The other day I discovered I had no coach DC power when disconnected from shore power.  I have an aftermarket Zantrex converter installed connected to a bank of flooded cell batteries.

The batteries are fully charged (13.04 v.)  Everything works fine as long as we have shore power or are running the generator.  My first guess is that the power transfer switch has failed or at least a relay has become stuck.

Does anyone know where the switch is?  I'm thinking it is probably behind the distribution panel (below the fridge.)  Before I start removing everything I thought I'd try to verify the location.  No information regarding the switch (or location) was provided by Rexhall at time of purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Brandt

What Brett said is probable the issue. The transfer switch has nothing connected to 12VDC, it is AC voltage only.

Many coaches have a circuit breaker very close to the house battery bank or a fuse circuit. If the salesman switch is not the issue, start at the battery bank with a VOM, checking each terminal downstream from the battery bank against a chassis ground for 12 +V, first failure will be the culprit in most cases.

39 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

start at the battery bank with a VOM, checking each terminal downstream from the battery bank against a chassis ground for 12 +V, first failure will be the culprit in most cases.

That is what I did and found a bad connection.

Bill