jep8n@bellsouth.net

Towing a 2010 Mercury Milan

We bought a new 2010 Mercury Milan 6 speed auto transmission in Feb to tow with our Motor Home. Left Florida with 1729 miles on car on 3/27 and stopped in Santee. Sun morning tried to start car to go thru setup to tow and nothing would work including the gear shifter. Towed car 17 miles to Ford dealer Stokes-Craven in Manning SC and was told the transmission was burned up. They contacted Ford and was told they had issues with the transmission. It did not have a part installed that would prevent or reduce fluid aeration which causes over heating. A new Tx was ordered and installed and we left Manning 4/3 for NC. We stayed in Stokes-Craven Ford's lot 6 days with electric, water and sewer available, they even fed us one day. The overall service from Ford Motor Co and Stokes-Craven Ford could not have been better.

John Pridgen

Update

The second transmission burned up 23 days, and 900 miles, after first one. Brought car back to FL on tow dolly. Dealer in Titusville replaced TX with another new one. Got car back on Fri 5/7 runs just fine and in 1 week will see if it tows to NC with out damage.

John Pridgen

3rd update---May 27 1638 Hrs. Just got home from a 1200 mile trip with the Mercury Milan and the transmission did just fine no problems.

But from the first tow with the Milan after 5 hours of towing the battery is run down. Can jump car and engine starts right up. drove car 700 miles with no battery problem. Today after 5.5 hours bat was run down. Will see dealer Mon for the 3rd time with batt problem.

John

I have a 2010 Mercury Mariner. We towed it to the FMCA rally last month. The error lights came on and we took it to our Ford Dealer. They also told us that our transmission was burned up and had to be replaced. They have received the new transmission which they said has been modified. Still waiting to get it back. I checked on its status on Friday, and was told Ford now has a recall on the transmissions for a "programming issue". Anyone towing a Mercury should check if they are affected with the recall.

Dave Johnson

UPDATE: I have the Mercury back. The new transmission has some type of modified venting system. They have ordered a baffle system that will be installed on or in the transmission once the part comes in. I think Ford has realized they have a problem towing this transmission and have come out with a modified version

I have a 2010 Mercury Mariner. We towed it to the FMCA rally last month. The error lights came on and we took it to our Ford Dealer. They also told us that our transmission was burned up and had to be replaced. They have received the new transmission which they said has been modified. Still waiting to get it back. I checked on its status on Friday, and was told Ford now has a recall on the transmissions for a "programming issue". Anyone towing a Mercury should check if they are affected with the recall.

Dave Johnson

UPDATE: I have the Mercury back. The new transmission has some type of modified venting system. They have ordered a baffle system that will be installed on or in the transmission once the part comes in. I think Ford has realized they have a problem towing this transmission and have come out with a modified version

I talked to the Service Director at the dealer, on 6/10, where I purchased Milan and he told me the programming recall had nothing to do with the transmission problems it only makes for a smother shifting tx.

john pridgen

We bought a new 2010 Mercury Milan 6 speed auto transmission in Feb to tow with our Motor Home. Left Florida with 1729 miles on car on 3/27 and stopped in Santee. Sun morning tried to start car to go thru setup to tow and nothing would work including the gear shifter. Towed car 17 miles to Ford dealer Stokes-Craven in Manning SC and was told the transmission was burned up. They contacted Ford and was told they had issues with the transmission. It did not have a part installed that would prevent or reduce fluid aeration which causes over heating. A new Tx was ordered and installed and we left Manning 4/3 for NC. We stayed in Stokes-Craven Ford's lot 6 days with electric, water and sewer available, they even fed us one day. The overall service from Ford Motor Co and Stokes-Craven Ford could not have been better.

John Pridgen

Update

The second transmission burned up 23 days, and 900 miles, after first one. Brought car back to FL on tow dolly. Dealer in Titusville replaced TX with another new one. Got car back on Fri 5/7 runs just fine and in 1 week will see if it tows to NC with out damage.

John Pridgen

3rd update---May 27 1638 Hrs. Just got home from a 1200 mile trip with the Mercury Milan and the transmission did just fine no problems.

But from the first tow with the Milan after 5 hours of towing the battery is run down. Can jump car and engine starts right up. drove car 700 miles with no battery problem. Today after 5.5 hours bat was run down. Will see dealer Mon for the 3rd time with batt problem.

John

Update

4th update---July 21, 2015

3rd transmission burned up. Found out at South of The Border RV Park on NC/SC border. Rented a Tow Dolly in Hamer SC and towed car to Fairway ford in Burgaw, NC and they confirmed TX was burned with melted plastic thru system.

Update on Battery running down after 6 hours of towing.

Did some troubleshooting and found out the instrument cluster was drawing about 5.5 Amps when car was in tow configuration and after 6 hours that is 33 amp hours of draw on a 37 amp hour battery. Installed a switch in place of the cluster fuse and open the switch when towing. No more battery problems and no thanks to Ford who did nothing to solve issue.

John Pridgen

John I don't think I would tow it 4 down anymore, if I did to get home I would let the engine idle to lube the transmission .

Solution to the dead battery would be a charge line from the chassis battery to the toad battery, I run one on all my toads.