templeandgary

Power Steering Reservoir Cap

Hello,

I just purchased a new Entegra Motorhome with a Spartan Chassis and a Cummings ISL 8.9L Diesel.  I had somebody going around it with me to go over some safety items and when we opened the engine bay and went to inspect the Hydraulic Fluid for the Power Steering Reservoir the cap would not come off.  It would turn and turn but as it did the metal bolt in the center of the cap seemed to get continuously more loose. After a few turns I tried to pull off the cap but no good. I am assuming this bolt is the Dip stick but the gentleman helping me said that he would not try turning anymore for fear of this falling into the reservoir.  

Has anybody experienced this before and is it okay to keep turning?  

Usually you would turn it until its no longer tight and pull upwards. The tightening just compresses the seal causing it to grab the bore on the hole. Do not loosen it to much or you will risk dropping the nut into the reservoir.  Try wiggling it side to side, the last person in there might not have lubed the seal properly and it glued itself to the bore. 

Try rocking it a little back and forth to break the seal between the rubber (that expands/contracts via turning the handle).  Worse case is to get a new top gasket (not expensive) and  loosen/remove the two banjo fitting bolts to remove the lid. 

If there is anything dirty above the reservoir,  tape a trash bag over it to keep any dirt from falling into the reservoir.

Try only turning a couple of turn then tap on lightly. In doing that it will stretch the rubber seal and hopefully brake it free. Then try pulling it out. That should do the trick.

If you get it out, might I suggest you put a small amount of grease on the rubber to prevent it from sticking on the future.

Herman 

34 minutes ago, templeandgary said:

2018 but never sold. It’s new even though it’s a 2018

That should be under warranty no matter how small it is.  

If it's one of the rubber caps where the center bolt tightens it by expansion, my bet is the rubber has bonded to the metal tubing. That thing has probably not be removed in two years - it was inserted at the factory after filling and has sat there ever since.

I would have just told the dealer rep"Get er done".

You have much more leverage to get things fixed before you sign the final paperwork.

Bill

16 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Ray, I just reread the OP. He found it on his PDI at the dealer. No disrespect but why wasn't it taken care of right then and there?

Herman

No not during the PDI, after delivery I had somebody go over the rig, not a dealer employee. Either way problem resolved. I had brought it back for another service concern and one of the mechanics got it off. Loosened the cap and pried like heck with the rubber end of his pliers. He said he never had one stuck like that before.

thanks for all of the advice