rayin

rear brake overheated-Is it a covered item?

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty. I just checked them and saw that there are marks (rings) with one indicating LOW oil and one FULL.  I saw that the FULL mark was approx. half way between the bottom of the hub and center hole. I have filled them up to the bottom of the hole and cleaned everything. I want to see if I get some slinging of excess oil when over filled according to the marks on the hub face plate. Will relate the results after our trip to Minot.

Herman

54 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty.

I've got them on the steer axle on ours. 

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty. I just checked them and saw that there are marks (rings) with one indicating LOW oil and one FULL.  I saw that the FULL mark was approx. half way between the bottom of the hub and center hole. I have filled them up to the bottom of the hole and cleaned everything. I want to see if I get some slinging of excess oil when over filled according to the marks on the hub face plate. Will relate the results after our trip to Minot.

Herman

If overfilled, excess hub oil should be expelled out the small vent hole in the red rubber plug, however, if the hole is plugged or too small excess hub oil can be pushed past the inner seal onto the brakes. FWIW, hub oil is not the same formula as differential oil.

11 hours ago, RayIN said:

FWIW, hub oil is not the same formula as differential oil.

75w90 on my front hubs and Rear differential.

I am going to change my differential to Mobil Delvac 75w90 Synthetic Gear Oil. I am currently running Royal purple 75W90 in the front hubs. Mainly because I couldn't find the Mobile at the time.

Herman, what I have found it it takes a long time for the oil to settle into the berrings. I drained and refilled my front hubs. Then did it the next annuel to be shure I had all old oil and contaminants out. I had the front wheels up where I could rotate them. Do you have the little rubber plug for the vent hole?

Bill 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:04 AM, F433921 said:

The fact that the last leg of the trip was driven with normal temperatures  observed on all 4 tires by tire sensors and confirmed by heat gun, I doubt the bearing is generating the heat. It's a lot more likely that a brake shoe was dragging.

Plus it's much easier to check the brake than the bearing, if nothing if found on brake then proceed to check bearing.

Jim

Been laid-up with back out of whack, sorry for taking so long. I talked with the HDT shop owner, explained the situation. He suggested it might be a leaking air diaphragm in the spring brake chamber. When I  am able to walk and drive without back spasms I'll make an appt.to have it diagnosed and both spring brake chambers replaced, they  only cost about $50 ea.

On June 11 I wrote that I would update my results to over filling my oil bath hubs. I am going to need to drain the hubs to get the oil level down. My bad. They both slung oil bad. Now drain, refill correctly and clean my wheels. 

Herman 

5 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

On June 11 I wrote that I would update my results to over filling my oil bath hubs. I am going to need to drain the hubs to get the oil level down. My bad. They both slung oil bad. Now drain, refill correctly and clean my wheels. 

Herman 

Any oil get on your brakes?

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Herman 

Take a pin or paperclip and make sure the center hole on the plug isn’t clogged.

Very common for dirt to clog those, excessive pressure builds up and the plug pops out, also makes a mess of the wheels!

On 7/11/2019 at 6:48 PM, hermanmullins said:

Herman 

I'll be nice and not say it. 😏

Final outcome/update. I talked with the owner of the HDT repair shop, who now also advertises they also do MH chassis work. He said the spring brake canisters are not the problem, nor is diff. oil level, he said if I was using the service brakes a lot, that can cause higher temps from the inner duals, simply because the TPS unit is confined between the duals.

BTW, the starboard side inner dual alerted the same over-temp reading when we got home, that would be the lower(road crown) side dual, kinda refutes the low diff oil theory.

I topped off the diff. to bottom of hole with 85/140 oil, JIC anyway.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:11 AM, jleamont said:

RayIN, where are your inner dual temp sensors mounted, do you have a photo? 

Somehow I stopped getting an email with replies notifications, sorry. The inner dual tire sensor is screwed directly onto the OEM metal valve stem, which is only 3" long.I install/remove them by slipping my hand between the tires, the stems must be on the bottom though.

We took a short trip 3 weeks ago, the temperatures were at their normal readings.

29 minutes ago, RayIN said:

We took a short trip 3 weeks ago, the temperatures were at their normal readings

Glad to hear! Hopefully it stays that way.