Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

Dash monitoring lights

I went out today to run engine and generator since last used April 3. Started fine but the dash gauges and monitor ( idiot ) lights stayed lit and would not go out. I looked at fuses and didn’t see anything wrong, did not do this before. Cruise didn’t work either when I tried to increase idle speed, what am I missing?

No noise, not even buzzer from low air. Scan gauge worked, no turn signal. All engine lights stayed on but gauges didn’t work.

Roland,The first fuse to check is number 11. think it is on the left side of the box and the marker light relay an ignition relay 30 amp size. Is it good or bad Feeds the dash lights and one wire goes directly to the low air buzzer. 

You did mention no buzzer from low air.

Rich.

Rich, thanks for the help. Does this fuse/relay pull out like other fuses? How will it show good/bad? I’m not an electrical genius  😀. I will try tomorrow.

thanks again.   Roland 

38 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Rich, thanks for the help. Does this fuse/relay pull out like other fuses? How will it show good/bad? I’m not an electrical genius  😀. I will try tomorrow.

thanks again.   Roland 

When you locate it - it will pull out. 

Does the engine start?  If the fuse has failed  the wire loop will be open.            If you have a meter to check resistance - the air buzzer could be shorted.

Keep in the loop. 

Rich.

The engine and generator start fine, no low air buzzer and all lights - start eng, low air, wait to start etc. stay on. No dash gauges but scan gauge works.

Thanks for the updated information.

Roland, I think it is time for a reset on my thoughts!

One thing I did look at is the Gauges connect to the instrument cluster harness. The cluster has a 10 amp fuse that looks like the power source. That fuse is marked number 15 on the drawings I have on file. So you might see if you find a bad 10 amp fuse and I will keep looking at other possible trouble points.

When you refer to the Gauges are you referring to the Batter and Oil pressure?

The other issue might be a ground connection.

Do you have a way to attach a picture of the fuse box nuder the dash?

Rich.

Roland,

I have had this same issue on our 2001 Monaco Dynasty. So this may not help on your Bounder.

In my front 12 volt electrical panel, located on the drivers side in front of the wheel, I have two solenoids. One controls the starting while the other controls the instruments. On both solenoids, with the key on you should have 12 volts on both of the large post. If one doesn't have 12 volts on the post then check if there is power to the white wire on the small post. If there is power to the small post then you have a bad solenoid. In replacing the bad solenoid be sure to purchase a 12 volt continuous solenoid.

I hope this helps.

Herman 

Roland, have you called Fleetwood Tech?  What chassis do you have?  You can call them and get a wiring schematic for dash/ignition system.

Roland, Reading up on your model year coach and there are others with the same issue. For the most part a ground connection has been the culprit.

You might give a call to Freightliner Service in Gaffney S.C. and explain what you have going on. You might ask them for a PDF copy of the chassis electrical wiring.  Yes it will look like spaghetti to you, but to the service techs it sure helps.

103 Campus Drive

1 855 253 0421- Option #1 for service and Option #2 for parts. You will need the last 6 letters / number combination  of the Vin.

So if all the fuses check out, it sure could be a ground connection.  Has the dash lights ever come and gone before?

What idiot lights are you referring to ? Like check engine , pre heat ?

Rich. 

From the drawing I have on file. There are 2 connectors going to the cluster. One has 12 pins and the other has 15 pins.  The one with the 15 pins has the ground wires.

Pins #2 and #4 have black wires and pin # 5 has a red wire, this is the 12 volt supply for the instrument panel.

The the 2 Black wires share a common point with 2 other black wires. That share a common connection point> that being the case, there could be a common wire nut - connecting all 4 of them all together under the dash.

Jim, Thinking both will work , unless sense Pat has retired things have changed.

The Vin on our coach has both letters and numbers in the last portion of the vin.

Rich.

I didn’t have any luck today so I contacted Freightliner and tech thinks it is the VDC vehicle control center or something called enunciator? He did tell me that if parking brakes release there is air and I can drive to service center. I am going to make appointment with them and have all checked out. The tech is sending me a pdf of chassis wiring.

Good feedback Roland, think they are hot on the trail of the problem. The drawings do not always include the wiring covering the VDC. 

If you are willing to forward the drawings, please do so and I will add them to the folder of Freightliner wiring info.

Rich.

Roland.

Did you receive the PDF and make an appointment?  Sorry, I did not get back to you!  Your post got shuffled out, by others!  Hope your issue is either resolved or being taken care of. :(

Great news!! My son and I ran down the problem. A single ground wire at the neg battery terminal had broken off, we reattached it and all works fine.

22 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Great news!! My son and I ran down the problem. A single ground wire at the neg battery terminal had broken off, we reattached it and all works fine.

Fantastic! With the number of ground wires running around the coach's they can be the top issue and one of the hardest to find. 

Great job 

Rich.