eric@babin.com

DASH COMPLETELY INOP

This is for my friend that can't get on internet right now....

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD

Nothing on dash is working. No lights, not even idiot lights. No reading on speedometer, tachometer etc.....

Just started after an engine oil change. 

Ideas?

First question-- does anything that normally only works with the ignition on work:

Allison shift pad illuminate?

Dash HVAC fan work?

If not, first suspect is the IGNITION SOLENOID.  Easy to test.  If he needs instructions on testing with either voltmeter (better) or test light, let us know.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

First question-- does anything that normally only works with the ignition on work:

Dash HVAC fan work?

If not, first suspect is the IGNITION SOLENOID.  Easy to test.  If he needs instructions on testing with either voltmeter (better) or test light, let us know. 

OK.... shift pad illuminates... so, must not be that. 

Assume this is on a Freightliner chassis. 

Have you/he called Freightliner (Gaffney) for troubleshooting help/wiring diagrams?

Freightliner 800 385-4357 need VIN.

1 hour ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

OK.... shift pad illuminates... so, must not be that. 

Does The Engine turn over?

Does the fuel lift pump run?

Coach in neutral and the safety switch is Closed?

Cat or Cummins engine?

Rich.

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Dash HVAC fan work?

Was asked in a PM how to test the ignition solenoid. 

Two large lugs:  one from chassis battery reads chassis battery voltage all the time.  The other large lug has that same voltage only when the signal terminal is supplied with 12 VDC positive from the ignition switch.

Either one or two small terminals.  If one, it is the positive from ignition switch= signal terminal.  If two, the other is ground.  Ground on the solenoids with one terminal is provided by contact with the metal body.

SO, to test:

If both large terminals do not have chassis battery voltage with ignition on, check for voltage at the signal terminal.  If there is 12+ VDC there, the solenoid is bad.  If no power to the signal terminal, either ignition switch or wiring is bad.  Easy test-- use a small gauge jumper wire from the large chassis battery-side lug to the positive/signal terminal.  If no click and power to the other large lug, solenoid is bad.

Brett

Brett, it is a Freightliner.

When I had my 07' Tour 40 and you turned OFF the "Salesman Switch", no lights on dash!  

Carl

Carl, in another post I outlined my problem. When I turn on ignition the coach starts and all of the idiot lights stay lit. There is no buzz from the low air alarm, the transmission pad is lit. The fuel gauge, air gauges, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge and battery charge gauge do not show anything. My scan gauge works and the generator starts. Tomorrow I plan to test the solenoid as Brett suggested. Any other ideas are welcome.

Roland

My comment was for Eric B.

I have been reading your post also and so far, I'm baffled.  Sorry, I'll put my brain in gear!

3 hours ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

Strangely enough....

Lights on dash DO work.... 

Cruise control works.

it's just none of the gauges are reading.... no MPH, no RPM, etc.

Eric. Think it might be a data link cable connection. 

All the mentioned items that are not working are connected to the network. 

They items are displaying information that is supplied from the engine ECM and the TCM.

Rich.

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Eric. Think it might be a data link cable connection. 

All the mentioned items that are not working are connected to the network. 

They items are displaying information that is supplied from the engine ECM and the TCM.

Rich.

Rich, is there a module in 04 that interprets the TCM and ECM for the instrument cluster? If so that would be my 1st stop to inspect the connections.

I know the new Freighliner has an instrument cluster module, SAM cab and SAM chassis modules that are all interfaced.

Herman.  Yes.  I just can't find it...would have been after Dec. 2017, that's when he became a member.