manholt

Surge Guard TRC

Yesterday, we was at KOA in Indy, IN., plugged into Surge Protector at post and had full 50A service for 7 hours.  Then nothing.  My Magnum panel showed I had 110v & 115v and was on Delay Active (that is my built in TRC).  The portable SP on Post showed all green & Post CB was tested and showed 118v & 121v... we are now in Buckeye Lake, OH., and have the same problem!

Everything works as it should with Generator on!  TRC reads 118/120v & Magnum shows 117/119!

I'm at a loss.

Do you have a surge protector at the post along with one built in?

You need to test the Transfer switch, specifically where the shore power comes in for proper voltage and ground. It could be the Surge unit that is built in has failed or the transfer switch. Since you can read proper voltage on the display on the interior it sounds like its seeing proper voltage, just not switching over to shore power and for that I suspect the TRC unit, but depending on how its wired it could go either way.

Ours had the surge unit on the end of the cord past the cord reel right next to the transfer switch, then into the transfer switch.

Do you have a meter that you can check it if you are comfortable working around High Voltage? 

Carl, The fact that 2 locations have the same issue, you might do a resistance test on the shore power cable. Good look at the riser end and and the  power  real end.

Joe beat me time wise LOL

Rich.

29 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

power  real end

That's a great thought Rich! If its a reel with internal contacts (not all are designed like this) it might not be able to carry the load. You only need one strand of wire to see the proper voltage, put it under load and it all changes.

Carl, since it works on generator...fill up your coffee and hit I-70, you'll be here in 5-6 hours, its a straight line :P

Heading to you in morning...to late today, per Linda & my wine, also, tells me so! :P🍷

Thank you Rich & Joe!  

It was just suggested to me, go out and un-reel the 50A line and see if you get any flickering lights...Linda said her reading light went off/on/off/on!  Is it possible that the culprit is my Ecord?  My reel is electric out/in.

Is her light 120 VAC and this is all assuming you are on CG power now? 

I keep spare parts, a cord reel isn't one of them. 

Update; Coach wiring had me stumped.

The cord reel is a Glendinning reel, NO contacts (good thing). It unravels the cord that lays beneath it , what was odd is it physically plugs into the coach via an electrical outlet in the electrical bay, not hard wired. I am not a fan of this, but its worked for the 10 years this coach has been on the road and it shows no signs of stress.

The coach is equipped with a combo ATS/Surge protector unit with a remote panel. The wiring diagram in the installation instructions is different than the way its wired, the lid on the unit shows IN and OUT, which is also backwards, in is actually OUT and vise versa. There is another wiring diagram on the inside of the ATS lid which is actually correct :rolleyes:. All of that is what stumped me, it wasn't until the generator was manually turned on and I started to chase voltage did it dawn on me how it was supposed to work and where the defect is, then troubleshooting it was simple. 

The ATS is not switching from Generator to Shore when it see's power coming in on the shore line even with the generator shut down. We either need to replace it with an ATS unit only or another combo unit. Today is the day to hunt a suitable unit to be installed.

If possible and not to expensive in labor, I would prefer a separate ATS...Labor is the problem as I see it.  

Joe, can''t thank you enough, for your hospitality and taking this on! :)🙏

30 minutes ago, manholt said:

If possible and not to expensive in labor, I would prefer a separate ATS...Labor is the problem as I see it.  

Joe, can''t thank you enough, for your hospitality and taking this on! :)🙏

You could always use an ATS only and go with a portable unit to hang off of the CG tower. 

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Labor is the problem as I see it.  

I have a 50 amp ATS to go into our coach, but the instructions were very clear, it MUST be mounted vertically, in your coach that would be an under bed rework of everything! Just not worth all of rework when a better option is out there.  

Last update; ATS has been installed. I installed a Surge Guard 41260 and he is back up on shore power. 

It has some voltage protection, mostly miswired pedestal. Carl has to use the portable type now for the full EMS protection. 

Carl, I fixed your old transfer switch. Next time we meet up I’ll bring it along. 

Out of boredom and curiosity I took it apart and found the control circuit board had a loose solder joint on the board. I resoldered it, put it all back together and made a power cord, plugged it into my 50 amp RV outlet and after about 15 seconds it activated. I tested the output with a meter and it works.

1 hour ago, Elkhartjim said:

You have to wonder how many are replaced and the "broken one" is tossed when it could be repaired.

I agree, however the problem is having someone who is capable of doing the troubleshooting and repair will most likely cost more than the new replacement. 

Bill

9 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

You have to wonder how many are replaced and the "broken one" is tossed when it could be repaired.

YUP, seems like most get replaced from neglect after they begin to melt down. This one wouldn't switch on and looked like new inside. 

Thank you!  New one is $648 + Tax...Jim S. That apply's to a lot of Items!  Bill, agree & don't want to give Joe a swelled head, but he's the best we got.  When it comes to body work, Jim S., but he's out of business...he helped me out one time!