rcieslak67

Interior Wood Finish

I have a 2009 HR Scepter and have some interior wood that needed touching up. I have the optional cherry wood interior and when I applied some Minwax wiping polyurethane to the wood surface it turned white when dry. Does anyone know what will work. I'm not the original owner so I don't know what the wood is finished with. But it is a gloss finish and I sanded it down some but when dry the wiping poly turned white.  Any recommendations.

Do you have a photo of the result? Is the white a uniform defect or only occurring in patches?

Wood finishing is an art, and there are so many things that could go wrong that it's really hard to know for certain what caused the problem.

Some finishes will 'blush' and turn a milky white if there is moisture trapped in the finish. This can be the result of applying the finish in humid conditions or to wood that has trapped moisture inside. There can also be problems with a reaction to the previous finish, using product that was beyond its useful life, contaminated surface, etc, etc.

Did you use an oil-based poly or a waterborne? Which ever you used, you might try using the other in a small test area to see if the result is better. Waterborne polyurethane is much more user-friendly than oil-based. Hopefully you can do a test on the inside of a cabinet door or in some other inconspicuous spot with another product.

Original finish may be lacquer, a test of acetone or lacquer thinner can be used in a very small area on the inside of a door will tell the tail, if poly, the finish will curl, if lacquer, it will only moisten the finish.

I have some waterborne ploy and I will try that next. I have sanded the area that turned white already so I cannot take a picture of it. Only have sporadic chances to work on it now as we are attending the FMCA Glamarama event in Allegan, Michigan. But, when I find something that works I will post a picture.