eric@babin.com

REPAIR SHOP POLICY / WARRANTY ON APPLIANCE

Not sure where this topic would belong... but here is my question:

Is it standard policy for a repair shop to say they will not honor an appliance warranty if you did not buy said appliance with them.

I am getting quotes to replace the washing machine in my Itasca Ellipse.

The repair shop gave me a quote for a new washing machine and labor to remove old and install new.

Problem 1 with the quote - 8 hours labor?  They don't need to diagnose old machine, they are putting in a new one. 8 hours? (but, that is not what this post is about...)

Here is what this post is about - I told them I could save a couple hundred dollars if I purchased the washing machine online, so I asked if they would install a new machine that I brought in....

Here is the reply " That is fine with us you need to understand if you have issues with warranty you will be on your own!".

This is a repair facility I have used for over $10,000 worth of repair and maintenance work in the past 12 months... and that is the answer they give me.  

I was previously very satisfied with them, but this reply is very disappointing. 

Am I being over sensitive?  Is this simply standard practice / policy?  

I am about to take my business to a facility 2 miles west of them...…………..

Quite common in my experience. Due to the age of our coach, I often will arrange for parts to be delivered from one of my sources directly to the shop. The shop will install the parts, but since I didn't use their supply chain their warranty will only cover the work they did for R&R. For the warranty on the part itself I have to go back to the supplier I use for parts.

I understand the desire to save a few hundred dollars, but that extra expense might buy you more than a washing machine - it might buy you a good relationship with shop so that they stand behind your new washing machine should anything ever go awry.

If you supply the machine and something should go wrong and require warranty work, the shop might have difficulty getting anything done from the factory warranty even if they wanted to. I'm sure that they have contracts with their suppliers that cover warranty work, but if they were not the purchaser of the machine they may have limited recourse for warranty problems.

I've never installed a washing machine in an RV, but the 8 hours doesn't sound too out of bounds. The shop where I take our coach will spend 30-40 minutes just prepping the inside of the coach for any repairs that require a tech to come inside. They do this to protect the flooring, furniture, etc, and I don't expect them to do it for free. If the machine is one that was installed with a shoe horn, it might take lots longer to swap out than you'd think.

34 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Quite common in my experience. Due to the age of our coach, I often will arrange for parts to be delivered from one of my sources directly to the shop. The shop will install the parts, but since I didn't use their supply chain their warranty will only cover the work they did for R&R. For the warranty on the part itself I have to go back to the supplier I use for parts.

I understand the desire to save a few hundred dollars, but that extra expense might buy you more than a washing machine - it might buy you a good relationship with shop so that they stand behind your new washing machine should anything ever go awry.

If you supply the machine and something should go wrong and require warranty work, the shop might have difficulty getting anything done from the factory warranty even if they wanted to. I'm sure that they have contracts with their suppliers that cover warranty work, but if they were not the purchaser of the machine they may have limited recourse for warranty problems.

I've never installed a washing machine in an RV, but the 8 hours doesn't sound too out of bounds. The shop where I take our coach will spend 30-40 minutes just prepping the inside of the coach for any repairs that require a tech to come inside. They do this to protect the flooring, furniture, etc, and I don't expect them to do it for free. If the machine is one that was installed with a shoe horn, it might take lots longer to swap out than you'd think.

It is good to know this is normal practice. I had always thought the manufacturer honored the warranty..... I didn't realize a repair facility had control over warranty work.  I always thought the manufacturer of the product paid the repair facility for the work. 

2 hours ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

It is good to know this is normal practice. I had always thought the manufacturer honored the warranty..... I didn't realize a repair facility had control over warranty work.  I always thought the manufacturer of the product paid the repair facility for the work. 

I'm sure that the manufacturer would honor the warranty either way, the difference is in who makes the claim and how the reimbursement is handled. If the shop supplies and installs the unit and has to do warranty work later on, they can probably be reimbursed for the R&R as well as the repair to the machine itself. If you supply the machine, the shop may not be reimbursed the same way. I'm sure that there are variances in this, but sometimes it's just better to pay a few extra dollars to make things easier on ourselves in the end.

The manufacture does not cover every thing and it is usually a flat rate that helps a little 

In my line of work it sometimes covers my cost only and sometimes it cost me to keep a 

customer happy 

They should have told you that if you supplied and there was a problem they would help you but you would be out of pocket 

for paper work and lots of extras not paid by manufacturer 

Eric, Newmar replaced my washer several months ago and I was at my rv repair place when they did the exchange. It took two men less than an hour to remove the old washer and replace with a new one. They did need to remove both doors from the closet the stacked washer and dryer are located. 

Eric, I hope it's not TCC?  Got my coach back 10 days ago, we are now in the Lancaster, PA. area.  I was not happy about some labor items...$1,600 to replace a radio...found out it was a typo & they refunded $1,000 on my card. :)

Would you go to a steakhouse and bring your own steak, expect a refund if you don't think they didn't cook it to your taste?   Why do people expect to do the same to a repair shop?  

I too think 8 hours is a bit stiff. I took my washer out and it took me an hour and a half including removal of the control face  to get it through the bedroom door and replace it before shoving it out a window.

21 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

I too think 8 hours is a bit stiff.

I also think the 8 hours is a bit extreme. I wonder if they are over estimating it sight unseen trying to protect them selves from having to come back for more money? I always over estimated then dropped it down on the invoice after completion and explained that up front.  We all know how it can seem simple enough and when you open it up it becomes a mess.

9 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What there are some projects that are easier and less complicated once you get into them?:D

Bill

None! 

35 minutes ago, manholt said:

Especially when it's wired backwards!!!

:lol:! A proper schematic is key to a proper diagnosis! :ph34r:

You can thank TRC for that one.

Glad you got Carl's problem fixed. 

I made it down to RI today. Worden's Pond Family campground. Got hear about 2:00.

Carl, did you get your EZ-Pass?