Sign in to follow this  
templeandgary

Entegra Chassis Airbags

Hello,  I have a question regarding my new Entegra Insignia.  This motorhome is my first Diesel Coach so this is all pretty new to me.  When I shut down my Coach and get out I hear the airbags start to deflate slowly and within about 10 min the motorhome has lowered with the tires inside of the wheel wells.  Is this supposed to happen?  I imagine that overtime the bags would deflate but should it begin as soon as I shut down or are they supposed to stay filled for a while?  The reason I ask is because I will want to do some of my own maintenance and I would not fit under if it is not aired up.  If this is the case then I guess my only option is to do any work underneath while the motorhome is on the Jacks?  By maintenance i mean small things like lubricating the Drive Shaft and small items like that.

Just want to make sure things are working as they should before I go back to the dealer looking stupid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Congratulations on the new coach. Is this new coach new to you, or new to the world? If new to the world, surely there is an owners manual to help explain the lowering within 10 minutes. Now for the most important stuff, NEVER EVER crawl under any vehicle that uses air bags as springs, coach, truck, or what ever without knowledge of whether you would fit under that vehicle if it were completely unaired and the bags lowered to their lowest point even if the vehicle is running and producing air, This rule should always apply even under a hydraulically lifted device or machine. One never knows that there may be a failure of the system, a sudden leak or puncture of the bags or even a fitting giving up could happen at any given moment. Hope you have many smiles and miles with the new coach.:)

It's not normal...take it to the dealer!  If it's new to you, you should have a 90 day Dealer Warranty, new to world then it's under full warranty.

Always use JACK STANDS, NEVER USE AIR OR COACH JACKS to work under coach...also block the wheels!  You don't breath well when your chest is crushed. 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

It's not normal...

Carl, may or may not be true, would depend on how the coach is sitting when it was parked. The leveling valves will consistently try to level the coach until all air is depleted in the absence of air not being added back to the system. If it is an automatic air leveling system, then it should level as nearly as possible and depending on the system may even be designed to lower the coach to the lowest level point before locking the air bag lock valves. Anyway I came back to the post realizing that I forgot to add (without adequate jack stands and blocking). Great that the OP plans to do his own maintenance, just be sure to do it safely.:P templeandgary, please be aware that there is really NO STUPID QUESTIONS, just ones that we don't know the answer to, and it would be more STUPID on our part if we didn't ask them, thanks to this forum and many more good ones, we are able to ask them.:rolleyes:

The last model year for Insignia was 2019 & came out in 2018.  There is no 2020 Insignia.  I spoke to a friend who bought the 2016 and then 2019 Insignia...Like Newmar, Jacks only by Lippert.  It was a entry level diesel coach. If you touch the pad for Auto leveling, it will dump the air before engaging Jacks!

Kay, I have the Lippert Power Gear, Air or Jacks system...Auto or Manual for both!

Yes, mine is a 2018 but I bought it new, I am the original owner and got a great deal because of the year. I’m sure it’s working properly but I have to bring it in soon for something else and I’ll ask. When it’s running and at ride height there is about 2” between the top of the tire and the fender but when I shut down, soon after the tier is inside of the fender. Is this supposed to happen? Not sure as this is my first coach upgrading from a fifth wheel. I might be overthinking some things but unfortunately that’s in my nature. 😀

thanks for all the replies. 

2 hours ago, templeandgary said:

When it’s running and at ride height there is about 2” between the top of the tire and the fender but when I shut down, soon after the tier is inside of the fender. Is this supposed to happen?

When you take it in would be a good time to ask them. You could read and memorise all the documentation that came with your coach. :P But seriously every maker does things differently and you may have options on how they work. Without any other information, having the air bags leak down fairly fast (unless they are supposed to) should be checked out. 

Bill