Sign in to follow this  
sandie115

UNSATISFIED WITH ROADSIDE RESCUE FOR GOOD REASON

I HAVE FMCA Roadside called Roadside Rescue.  I called yesterday at about 1:30 pm to say my brakes had locked up on the rear passenger side of my 36 ft Class Motorhome and needed a tow for Motorhome with "locked up brakes".  ONE hour later I had not heard back so I called back to see when the tow would be there and was told, "an agent is working on finding you a tow truck" .  Mind you, I was 15 miles south of Boston MA.  Some time later I was called that the tow truck was coming from a town about 40 miles away from me, and it would be about 90 min.  I called them about an hour later and was told he had not left yeat due to being on another call, and traffic was bad since now it is about 3:30 PM , he got there about 4:45 pm or 5 pm.  He immediately was irritated that they told him it was motor problems by the Roadside Rescue personnel who I was very clear with that the BRAKES ARE LOCKED UP.  So since it is 36 ft long and 12'4" tall raising it was or should be out of question and not good raising it in front which is what he was tasked with doing was not going to work.  The Roadside Rescue people should have gotten equipment to me that could do the job of putting the rear on a dolly kind of thing or whatever.  I was lucky I was in a parking lot and not out on the highway.  I was VERY lucky that the man who came with the tow truck was an experienced guy and he figured out a way to pull it back end up backward down the road which is very hard to do, due to aerodynamics of the rear of the rig being pulled forward.  He had to pull the rig to the Truck repair shop a number of miles (but within the number allowed to be towed) so it took about an hour and half due to going very slowly so no damage would occur to the Motorhome.  I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL W ITH ROADSIDE RESCUE OF FAMILY MOTOR COACH.  I do realize it is a contracted company from FMCA but maybe they need to find another company to contract with if the operators do not listen or do not know what they really need to know and convey to the towing company so they can bring the correct equipment.  I was very lucky with the tow company that had a very experienced operator who thought outside the box and got the job done.  NO THANKS TO ROADSIDE RESCUE!!

OK..got it, so why did the brakes lock up?  Is it a gas or diesel & make, year, model?  Would be nice to know.

Sorry, you fell between the cracks!  It happens, 10% of the time...on anybody's plan, Good Sam, AAA, Coach Net, etc!  You got an OJT that hopefully learned from her mistake and it will help another!  Don't know about you, but I started at the bottom and learned as time & circumstances came along!  I made mistakes, we all do, but nobody  got hurt or killed. :D 

gas engine and the brakes locked up due to frozen caliper so new calipers on both rear wheels and pads of course.  NEW lines because the line on the wheel with frozen caliper was pretty groady so replaced.  I had another mechanic look when it was locked up and he was the one who said to replace the lines but the truck place did say they needed it so did it. NOT cheap but my life is worth more than brake lines (Hydraulic)

RV's & boats = expensive! :( In the long run, cheaper than Hotels & going out for all meals and HH. :D  

Make sure you keep an eye on your sidewalls for cracking and spiderwebs...change tires around 5 to 7 years!  Mine lasted 56,000+ miles and almost 5 years.  Got 8 new tires, last Tuesday (4 days ago) in NJ..no tax!  Now, I feel good about spending 2 month's in Maritime Provinces, CA.