sandie115

Anyone know why up arrow means down and down arrow means up?

I bought a 2003 Newmar Mountainaire in 2016.  The leveling system which is i think is HWH but not 100%.  On the panel the arrow pointing UPward means to use it to put the leveler DOWN and the arrow pointing down means to put the leveler up.  Kind of crazy but maybe it is for a reason!!!  ANYONE know the rationale of this kind odd thing?

1 hour ago, sandie115 said:

On the panel the arrow pointing UPward means to use it to put the leveler DOWN and the arrow pointing down means to put the leveler up.  Kind of crazy but maybe it is for a reason!!!  ANYONE know the rationale of this kind odd thing?

Maybe someone thinks that if you put the leveler down that you are going to raise the coach and vice versa.:huh: I don't really know since it has been years since I last used hydraulic levelers.

Think it takes less space to print out up and down or just arrows then to print out(Extend jacks to level coach and Retract jacks to lower coach).

Rich.

Here is a brain twister;

This topic reminds me of the "EXIT" and "ENTRANCE" at store. If you walk through the EXIT sign to enter the store, are you using the incorrect door, especially if the sign is facing the parking lot? Technically you are Exiting the parking lot. :lol: 

This is why I need to keep busy, too much runs through my head :ph34r:

DW gets frustrated with me when I walk through the "exit" door. I tell her that if they don't want me to walk through it don't have it automatically open from the outside.

I can't for the life of me remember what my leveling panel looks like. I think it is "left, right, front rear" so I'm just glad I know if I'm leveling or retracting.

Speaking of leveling systems - here is a tip.  I have an extra lanyard for something that hangs around the neck. I don't have anything on it so i put the end throug it's own loop on hooked to the top of the steering when when I am leveling and leave it there. Then when I get in the driver's seat to leave I know the jacks are down because that string is hanging there,.

For the satellite antenna I put the ignition key next to the Traveler Controller and if I have to put the key in the ignition I know where it is and the satellite is up - take it down before moving.

Y'all can send me $0.10 for the information.

23 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Sounds like the arrow is indicating the direction of travel of the coach, not the jacks.

That's the way mine work.

Jacks up/coach down & Jacks down/coach up!  Over thinking by a Engineer who graduated 5th from the bottom! :P

On 6/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, richard5933 said:

Sounds like the arrow is indicating the direction of travel of the coach, not the jacks.

BINGO!  That is normal functioning of HWH jacks.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, richard5933 said:

Exactly right as per HWH tech's.

Sandie --

My 2016 Newmar Ventana LE has the Equalizer brand hydraulic leveling jacks with the "up / down" pointing arrows on the key pad.  The arrow pointing "up" means that when pressed the leveling jack will move "up".    The button with the arrow pointing "down" lowers the leveling jack.  For the Equalizer leveling system here is a link to the operating instructions which are available from Newmar's Newgle info site --> https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/100823.pdf

You should be able to search in Newgle to find operating instructions for your HWH leveling system.

It makes more sense for the arrows or description to be for the coach not the jacks.  When pressing the button or following the instructions, we are leveling the coach...we don't care which way the jacks move.

Yep.  Mike the OP may not have your system...then what do you do?  Did your Damond operate that way, probably not.  As FIVE and so many others said. The whole issue is the coach, nothing else!

Me too wayne, the manual buttons are for tweaking. I usually set the front a smige high so rain water isn't dripping from the gutter at the door. Some day I've got to do it right and re-adjust the leveling "brain box".

On 6/14/2019 at 2:29 AM, DickandLois said:

Think it takes less space to print out up and down or just arrows then to print out(Extend jacks to level coach and Retract jacks to lower coach).

Rich.

The attachment above was my original reply 

The real issue is kind of vanilla. The drive for the rams is attached to the frame of the coaches,ether between the axles and frames or the frames that extend a ram down towards the ground. This action raises the coach UP WARD, from a low point to level the structure relevant to the ground.

This enables one to level the coach or any structure without digging holes in the ground to lower the high point. 

I do not think the park owners would let anyone just dig holes in the pads provided to level every model or size coach that arrives for a period of time so the vehicle was level.

The Physics is for every action there is an equal reaction.

Happy trails to all.

Rich.

THANKS people, I never thought about the rig, thought it would tell me which way you want the levels to go so up arrow SHOULD be bring the levelers UP but NO, up means the rig is going to go up from that button being pushed.  I have been just thinking up means down and down means up but now thinking about what will it do to the RIG it makes it easier, THANKS!!