BILLC

Burning Through ATT data plan

My wife and I are full-timers.  We travel the country moving every 10 to 14 days.  We teach as we go - real estate investing and landlording.  We work from "home."

Currently, we have an ATT data plan.  On that plan are two iPhones and two iPads.  We also use our iPhones as hot spots when the park doesn't have wifi that reaches our rig...which is usually the case.  (Example: typing this while eating lunch at Panera Bread in Denver because the park has a 30-foot circle where one can get wifi.

We get 30 gigs on our plan.  Often enough, we surpass this amount.  ATT then let's us buy 1 gig for $15.  This can get very expensive.

Checked into getting a JetPack from Verison.  All the negative comments about it on this board is reason enough to not get it.  (Speed slow to a crawl around 22 gigs.)

Just went back to Version store.  They offer a device called an Ellipsis Hot Spot.  Prepaid, it cost $65/month.  We'd get 30 gigs.  No contract.  Device cost $50.  I believe it can be turned on and off, but not positive about this. 

Idea: Leave Ellipsis turned off.  When we get close to running out of data on ATT - which doesn't happen every month - call to have Version device turned on, and switch on-line work to Version's Ellipsis.

Is anyone doing this?  Has anyone used the Version Ellipsis?

Thanks,

Bill

FMCA has some good plans. We have the Elipsis Jetpack and Sprint Hotspot. We use the Sprint mostly because it does not slow you down. It is truly unlimited and is 50 a month plus the government fees. When you hit your gig limit with Verizon it is like hitting a brick wall. We also have an online business and process orders daily.

The FMCA plan is the BEST.  First of all, if you're full timing, it is TRUE unlimited data. We have used the hotspot to stream video (probably the most data intensive activity possible) on our Roku.  We own 5 Verizon hotspots that will be cancelled when we hit the 2 year mark - we were always running into a speed cap at 16GB.  You can't throttle bandwidth from the modem, so if you try to do something data intensive, it will give you the highest bandwidth available, which can burn through your high speed allowance pretty quickly.  We work from the RV, and basically burned through one hotspot every few days.  5 hotspots, 2 iPhones.  Switched to the modem offered through TechConnect, and that's all we need.  We keep a couple of Verizon units with us in case we hit a space where we don't have good Sprint connectivity.

**Edit - the Sprint offering via Tech Connect is the only one with true unlimited bandwidth. The offer through Verizon has a higher cap than the one generally offered, but it does throttle back severely after you hit your data limit.  That said, Verizon's coverage is better than Sprint's, so if you happen to spend a lot of time in a Sprint dead zone, it might not work for you.

Edited by RREMDE
clarification

If you are use two or more internet providers, you could utilize a load balancing router to combine the multiple carriers. This way you can get up to your data limits on all combined carriers. TPLink makes a great little unit to do this for less than $60.00.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:19 PM, BILLC said:

My wife and I are full-timers.  We travel the country moving every 10 to 14 days.  We teach as we go - real estate investing and landlording.  We work from "home."

Currently, we have an ATT data plan.  On that plan are two iPhones and two iPads.  We also use our iPhones as hot spots when the park doesn't have wifi that reaches our rig...which is usually the case.  (Example: typing this while eating lunch at Panera Bread in Denver because the park has a 30-foot circle where one can get wifi.

We get 30 gigs on our plan.  Often enough, we surpass this amount.  ATT then let's us buy 1 gig for $15.  This can get very expensive.

Checked into getting a JetPack from Verison.  All the negative comments about it on this board is reason enough to not get it.  (Speed slow to a crawl around 22 gigs.)

Just went back to Version store.  They offer a device called an Ellipsis Hot Spot.  Prepaid, it cost $65/month.  We'd get 30 gigs.  No contract.  Device cost $50.  I believe it can be turned on and off, but not positive about this. 

Idea: Leave Ellipsis turned off.  When we get close to running out of data on ATT - which doesn't happen every month - call to have Version device turned on, and switch on-line work to Version's Ellipsis.

Is anyone doing this?  Has anyone used the Version Ellipsis?

Thanks,

Bill

All I can say is please look into 'Togo Roadlink C2, 4G LTE Router and WiFi Extender with AT&T Unlimited Cellular Data $360.00 per year. I bought it and could not be happier.