richard5933

OTA Antenna Upgrade

Last week I added a coax to my OTA antenna wall plate so I can plug into campground cable when it's available, and then my OTA antenna stopped working. Not sure exactly what happened, but it was starting to have poor reception for a while now. Only pulled in 6 channels at home this week, where it used to get 30+. Antenna was a Wineguard Roadstar. Tried replacing the wall plate/power injector but it didn't help. Antenna itself is not currently available so I had to look elsewhere.

Today I replaced it with a King OmniPro antenna. Install was pretty simple since the coax was already in place between the antenna and the wall plate inside. New antenna is pulling in 40 channels right now. Much better. Happy camper.

We don't watch lots of television when camping, but it's nice to be able to pull in the local news in the morning or a rerun in the evening if it's raining outside.  We went with this style of antenna since it's got a simple install and operation.

What experience have others had using OTA antennas? Anyone else using this style of omni-directional antenna?

We use an OTA antenna all the time and typically get anywhere from 12 to 70 stations depending where we are. As an added bonus many are HD 1080 p.

We have a Winguard Sensar antenna with the digital extension. 

61yfcAfnn+L._SX425_.jpg

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

We use an OTA antenna all the time and typically get anywhere from 12 to 70 stations depending where we are. As an added bonus many are HD 1080 p.

We have a Winguard Sensar antenna with the digital extension. 

61yfcAfnn+L._SX425_.jpg

The Sensar IV and Wingman still out perform any of the other RV antennas.  

With antennas, you want two things...height and more metal in the air.  

The Wingman makes the antenna very directional.

Ken

My crank up died.  I replaced it with a Winguard Razor, self seeking...sits 8" above roof!  Also have a Direct TV dish.  We have found out that most programs can be obtained by computer!

Guess I was more thinking of where the shaft would penetrate through the roof so that it can be rotated from inside. Never have seen one in person and fear of having a leak point has kept me with omni directional antennas to this point.

There are those that can replace the old batman style, which was made to rotate from inside the coach by hand, the unit is self sealed to allow motion, the stationary base is caulked and they worked well. There is newer styles that electrically rotate (some are automatic) and some use a manual control box. The newest versions actually send the signal current through the coax so no other wiring is necessary to the antenna, just to the control box. Here is an example. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-Directional-Over-the-Air-TV-Antenna-with-Mount-and-Signal-for-RV-Camper-NEW/312277539983?epid=2254580483&hash=item48b5311c8f:g:cTYAAOSwclVbz0G9

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

The Wingman is a rotating antenna, correct? If so, what keeps it from leaking into the coach?

If the rain was coming down hard enough with the wind in the right direction a little water can get in.  Not really enough to bother us.  

Good info - I'll see how the omni-directional one works out and then report back if changes are needed. Wasn't really wanting to punch a whole into the ceiling of the bedroom (where the antenna is) so I haven't gone to a rotating one yet.

12 hours ago, richard5933 said:

The Wingman is a rotating antenna, correct? If so, what keeps it from leaking into the coach?

This is the 2nd MH we have had over the last 20 odd years with this OTA antenna. Have never had a leak. Not sure what type of sealing system they use, but it seems to work.

They provide directions to maintain the crank mechanism. Basically just a little Vaseline to keep seal from getting hard which could then allow a leak to occur. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:36 AM, rossboyer said:

They provide directions to maintain the crank mechanism. Basically just a little Vaseline to keep seal from getting hard which could then allow a leak to occur. 

You should not use a petroleum based lubricant. Here's a quote from the Winegard manual:

LUBRICATION (Done 3-4 times annually)

STEP 1: To lubricate the elevating gear, apply a liberal amount of silicone spray lubricant to the elevating gear with the lift in the down position. Run the lift up and down to distribute the lubricant over gears.

STEP 2: Two times yearly, or in the event rotating the antenna becomes difficult, normal operation can be restored by lubricating the bearing surface between the rotating gear housing and the base plate. Any silicone lubricant spray may be used.  Elevate antenna and remove plastic plug from rotating gear housing as shown. Spray lubricant into hole and around edges of gear housing. Rotate gear housing until lubricant coats bearing surfaces and antenna rotates freely.

LUBRICATING RUBBER QUAD RING
Lubricate rubber quad ring on elevating shaft which is below worm gear with silicone spray lubricant at least twice yearly. This will keep quad ring from becoming brittle which could result in leaks down elevating shaft.

When I used Vaseline, I had replaced the ‘O’ ring with a non rubber one that would not be damaged by Vaseline. Didn’t go on roof and do the other lubrication as stated above. I wasn’t having trouble with changing elevation or rotation. I would agree with using silicone. 

Ross, I just replaced the slide mechanism on our Thetford toilet and had a bit of noise. Called Thetford and the tech James said to use Silicone Grease and to never use Silicone spray. The spray has a chemical that will destroy rubber seals. 

Just thought I would pass this along. 

Herman 

A product that use for items that need to slide is Slip It. It is a paste that looks like Vick’s salve.  Really made for wood working equipment and wood on wood. Using a small palette knife, I put a little in the lower track on my sliding windows. Lasts about a year and then do it again. 

Does the mirror have an aluminum frame? If so, you may want to use paraffin or beeswax. Slip It will protect and infuse into cast iron that is used to make many wood working machines. There is a spray version, but effectively you get 1/3 of the product at twice the price. Think you can look it up on the ROCKLER web site. 

On 6/17/2019 at 4:40 AM, richard5933 said:

Good info - I'll see how the omni-directional one works out and then report back if changes are needed. Wasn't really wanting to punch a whole into the ceiling of the bedroom (where the antenna is) so I haven't gone to a rotating one yet.

In the ham radio world, we say that an omni-directional antenna operates equally bad in all directions.

Ken

I replaced a crankup Wingman antenna with a Jack antenna ($45 at our RV dealer). The Jack comes with everything necessary to mount it on the two aluminum tubes that crank up the Wingman. I first manually elevated the Wingman assembly (the original elevating mechanism was broke and the owner didn't want to pay to have it repaired--$$$) and cut off the tubes so the Jack antenna would be just above the ACs. I bolted the tubes together using a piece of the cutoff tubes so spacing between the tubes was the same all the way up.

Now the Jack antenna is permanently up, but can be rotated, and doesn't rattle when traveling. No worries about forgetting to lower it or breaking the crankup mechanism (plastic gears)

1 hour ago, nitehawk said:

cut off the tubes so the Jack antenna would be just above the ACs. I bolted the tubes together using a piece of the cutoff tubes so spacing between the tubes was the same all the way up.

Ok so now what is the height of your RV? 

Bill

I did the conversion on a 2004 Newmar Mountainaire about three years ago so have no idea . Was not my coach. We have a Foretravel GV.

Probably added about 1-1/2" to the existing height. Reception went from 9 channels to 21 and reception included stations never received before.

19 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

No it's one big a#$ piece of glass mirror that slides on what appears be some sort  of carpet like material. 

Herman 

That is very similar to my sliding windows. I’ll try to remember to bring my can of SlipIt to Minot, so you can try it out.