lakebuster

ECM Update on ISX15

Upon starting our MH to move from shed to open sky a check engine light came on displaying 3031-9 on Silverleaf. It showed a DEF temperature of -40F. Spartan mobile tech. came to our home to get code for emmisions warranty. It is a Cummins engine but this is covered under Spartans Emmission Warranty. Since technician ran his large work truck into ditch and I pulled him out with tractor he updated my ECM for free, it took almost an hour. But for a 17 year model engine I had Version 7 and the newest was version 15. We shall see how this does once DEF Temperature Sensor is changed out. Has anyone else had their ECM updated?

9 hours ago, Lakebuster said:

Has anyone else had their ECM updated?

Not on our coach.

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Engine Control Module , right?

YUP.

However most new diesels require routine ECM updates, some manufactures will turn on the engine light after a certain amount of time requiring a reflash. Due to many breakdowns at work we reflash all engines built after 2014 at each PM interval, when they get missed we get an abundance of breakdowns.

However most new diesels require routine ECM updates, some manufactures will turn on the engine light after a certain amount of time requiring a reflash. Due to many breakdowns at work we reflash all engines built after 2014 at each PM interval, when they get missed we get an abundance of breakdowns.

Joe, A Texan would say that ain't right. Wondering how many miles or Hrs. between each PM interval? 

Reflash required on all engines sizes built after 2014? 

Rich.

Rich, we PM every 15,000 miles in one form or another. Some of the new technology will turn the light on every 40,000 miles give or take. No good when a driver is in the middle of nowhere and it's calling for a software update and goes into derate. This seems to be more of a problem on some 2018 and newer diesels. 

36 minutes ago, manholt said:

Ugh!  Is that EPA or engine manufacturer, mandate?

I have no idea, but they are constantly tweaking the software to make them burn cleaner. I guess that's good but it's a huge inconvenience to the end user. It seems to work like a cell phone, when you dont update it something mysteriously goes wrong and a simple software update cures it.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

What does that update cost?  Is that on all diesel engines, or just Cummins?

1-2 hours of labor is probably the "fair" number you would expect to be charged. I have seen this before on several engine manufacturers lately, Cummins so far has only been on the ISX.  

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Didn't you have yours done at one of the big rallies not long ago? You were talking about how much better it ran.

Bill

On 6/20/2019 at 3:38 AM, manholt said:

It usually is a charge of one hour, as it takes that long to wipe ECM and install new update. Our engine was built 02/17 at the Jamestown plant. It had many updates, one was timing and DEF ratio. I am waiting on DEF tank temperature sensor, which requires the entire neck to be replaced inside the tank, removed from top of tank.

1 hour ago, Lakebuster said:

I am waiting on DEF tank temperature sensor

I am surprised they do not have those in stock, those and the DEF line heaters fail frequently when exposed to cold weather. Where are you based out of?

Joe do you know the problem of the Cummins DEF pump going bad. I have a friend that had the code that his DEF pump was going bad. His shop that does his repairs and has worked closely with his extended warranty company told him that the pumps go out frequently and that they replace quite a few of them. Is that the case where you are?

Herman 

Herman, the pumps, sending unit with the heater, and each DEF line also has a heater with in the tubing all fail frequently and more so in winter. The colder the climate the more frequent failures. The only thing I can contribute to it is overall part quality issues.

We have a problem up here in winter, you cannot park a unit with DEF if the tank is full. By design there is no room for the DEF to freeze and it cracks the pump and sending unit. As the DEF freezes it rises, no place to go its forced into the pump, the pump cracks and so does the sending unit, It’s all plastic! Almost immediately the engine will go into derate (upon starting) and leave you stranded. Due to the weight of an RV in derate there is so little power they can barely move in most cases.

So far the only manufacturer I have seen with less issues is Peterbilt, their DEF tank is designed much better. Even topped off there is adequate space for freeze expansion.

If your friends DEF pump is air powered those were a bigger problem than the electric ones that were phased in later model years. There is no way to retrofit an electric pump where there once was air. 

21 hours ago, jleamont said:

I am surprised they do not have those in stock, those and the DEF line heaters fail frequently when exposed to cold weather. Where are you based out of?

Louisiana, DEF temperature was showing -40 on Silverleaf, with ambient air temperature of 87.