Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Electronic Makeover

To Those Who Know What They're Doing

Our 2009 Newmar Allstar needs an electronic makeover.  We have replaced two TVs.  Now they don't work without unplugging RCA connectors and plugging in different ones depending if we need satellite or DVD.  Our tuner/receiver is a Jamo.  They don't make them anymore.  No HDMI connections.  There is a 4-plex tuner box on top of the Jamo that directs signal to the 4 TVs.  Our satellite dome is a Winegard In-motion model, 9 years old, not very dependable.  We have DISH.

I want more state of the art equipment.  Two new TVs is no problem.  Tuner receiver, routing to 4 TVs so wife can watch DVD in the bedroom and I can watch satellite elsewhere, HDMI cabling?

Anyone have a makeover plan?  I would very much appreciate it.  I have been to 3 reputable RV service shops and no one has been cabable of suggesting anything.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Don,

The What you want to do is clear, but some additional information on what the wiring is on the OEM entertainment equipment would sure help. 

There is an almost endless list of how equipment can be wired and no to systems are the same, except for coach builder and the equipment they chose to install.

We have replaced two TVs.  Could you expand on what the inputs and outputs where used on the model you purchased and the Model year. Also, are they the same model ?

When the equipment required to install what you are going for, we then need to take size, power available and cabling changes required.

There are a few members that have a better handle on the newer equipment. I put together large educational systems that worked locally and country wide, more then you need for sure.

Rich.

As Rich pointed out many questions before a complete answer can be given. For instance you have dish network, but do you have one or two receivers and do the receivers using coax from the dish, on roof or portable. Does your current receiver or receivers have HDMI capabilities now, if not you will need to replace the receivers with later technology. If you replace the receivers you probably will need to replace the dish to latest technology capable of running the new receivers. Dish network does offer a Wally/Joey system which will send signals to different tv's and there are wireless transmitter/receivers available from dish network. I would place a call to dish network and ask for an RV expert to help satisfy your desires, and if that doesn't work come back here for more advice.;)

Don, have you tried Texas Custom Coach in Pipe Creek on Hwy 16?  They will build you a new coach or fix what you have!

Manholt,

Actually, I talked to Texas Custom Coach today and will be seeing them this Friday.  I think they will be able to help me out.  I am about 20 miles from them.  Thanks for the reminder.

Don

What I did on mine (98 Discovery) was to install open face auto dish for Directv and put a satellite receiver in the living room and the bedroom using the existing coax and an hdmi cable between each receiver and HD tv.  Also installed a DVD player at each location with hdmi cable using the input switcher in the tvs.

I did about the same thing as DD69 but have DISH, I have a Dish Hopper 3 mounted in a front cabinet with a "Wireless Joey" for the back TV.  With the wireless I didn't have any extra wires to run.

I also removed the switch box and wired every thing direct just like I have at home. With this setup we can record and watch at the same time or set it to record while we are away. Works for us.

Herman

We just installed the Hopper 3 and wireless Joey!  Awesomeness!  Record up to 16 channels at a time!  Works great!  We ordered the equipment from Dish-with the understanding that they wouldn’t install in an RV!  Then had an independent Dish tech person install!  Paid him $200 to install and paid approx $350 for equipment!  Highly recommend!