traesdad

High beam headlight issue

I am the proud new owner of a 2004 Monaco Windsor.  When I test drove it, the high beams appeared to work fine.  When I drove it home,, as the sun went down (yes, you know where this is going) and I pulled on the headlights, I found the street got no brighter.  Luckily I made it home before dark and was able to work with the headlights.  The low beams work, but when you pull the lever for high beams, the low beams go off and no light illuminates on the dashboard showing high beams.  I checked the fuse (headlights) and it seems fine. 

The lenses are very fogged and I order a replacement set for them.  However, I am concerned that when they arrive, the high beams still will not work.  Any suggestions for repairs?

I appreciate the insight of those far more knowledgeable than I.

I would suspect the switch or the wiring harness connections at the switch (under dash) and/or at the headlights.  Could be a connector loose or disconnected anywhere in the circuit.  Since no light comes on at the dash panel to indicate brights, I'm pretty sure it's in the switch or harness.

Now is where I show my stupidity....how can I trace the line to find the loose connection?  I wiggled the plugs at the headlight connection and saw no change.....I have a smartwheel (cruise, flash of markers and flash of headlamps as well as wiper controls)…..I read it could be there too.....but it seems odd to me....

Traesdad, Welcome to the Forum.

Most of the RV head lights are powered from a relay(s) for both high and low beam. A common 12 volt supplied to both the low beams and a common 12 volts going to the high beams.

Both the low and high beams use a common ground for the left and right side of the coach. The fact that the low beams work - points the a missing 12 volts to the high beams.

With a smart wheel, it could be in the interface harness to the control module or the high current relay for the high beams.

Many of the fuses that power the head lights are the auto reset type, so if there is a short circuit they open whenever the fuses heat up. They have been known to go bad, but an open 12 volt supply makes that a strong candidate for the problem.

Rich

Rich,

Thanks so much for your insights.  I keep showing my stupidity here (I guess that will go away with experience). A couple questions:

1.  Where are the auto reset fuses you speak of?

2. How can I trouble shoot the interface harness?

3. How can I verify the open fuse issue you note in your last paragraph?

Again, thanks a ton for your help!!!!! As a new owner, I am excited, but also know that I can not pull in to an inspection site (Virginia State Inspection) with non-working high beams and expect to pass....and a rejection flag is like wearing a write me a ticket sign around here.  :)

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Traesdad,

Welcome to the Forum.

To check out your Smart Wheel you can contact VIP Smart Wheel at 847-395-7250. Their tech dept. is very helpful.

Herman

Thanks a ton!!!  I called them and through basic questioning and other functions that do work, they decided it was not the Smart Wheel (Thank heavens)!!!!  Thanks for the help.... :)

A simple volt ohm meter is the best friend for troubleshooting electrical malfunctions. You stated that you had already ordered new bulbs, but you need to know first is there any voltage available to make them work. Best to drag out the old friend VOM and start at the headlights. With headlights on, pull the plug off of the bulbs and test for voltage, both low and high, if voltage is there on both high and low, then the bulbs will most probably fix the problem, if no voltage, then use a test lead to a known good ground if voltage then a bad ground. Use this method all the way back to the headlight switch, if voltage there, then move on to the relays and circuit breakers. Most likely you will find those circuits in the chassis fuse panel which is usually placed under the dash, but sometimes under a panel on the left sidewall of a motorhome, or under the drivers seat. Hope this helps. And as Rich said, welcome to the forum.