kingrichard

Sunpass and EZPASS

Joe, that's happened to us in Texas!  Went to EZE Pass in Houston (Not the same as your's), got new pass for Newmar.  

3 hours ago, JohnArch said:

Just don't leave your car or motorcycle transponder  on that particular vehicle while towing or you'll get billed twice.

Putting the transponder in a foil pouch solves that problem.  No need to remove it from the vehicle.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, wayne77590 said:

Wow! Having read this subject on other forums there is quite a controversy over many items regarding EZPass.

For what it is worth: Last year we decided to take an East Coast trip and went to Florida, Disney World, and then up th East Coast.  We had no problems with the North Cariolina EZ Pass which I ordered through the phone system. It worked in all the states listed on their web site. The portable transponder was $7.50 and it also came with a stick on transponder.  I placed the portable transponder in the center bottom of the motorhome windshield.

In conversation with the NC EZPass authorities it was stated to not use the stick on. The TOAD would be read and charged by the MH transponder. When the car is disconnected and used for sight seeing just take the portable transponder out of the MH and place it in the car.  Worked for me.

Very very recently I communicated with the NC EZPass authorities because I noticed that my account had the MH as 2 axles. I have a tag axle also. When I queried them by email. Here is that communications:

"Thank you for contacting the NC Quick Pass Customer Service Center Support Team. We appreciate your time and effort in contacting us.  We would be happy to assist you with your inquiry. No, this will not be a problem. The system will adjust to the axle weight.

If you wish to contact a Customer Service Representative for further assistance, please call the NC Quick Pass Customer Service Center at 877-769-7277.
Thank you,
NC Quick Pass Customer Service

** Please do not reply to this message. This is an automatically generated notification**
-------------------------
Original Message:
I noticed in reviewing my account that the transponders listed are for two axles. My Winnebago, which uses the hard case transponder has three axles.  I did not seem to have any problem last year traveling the toll roads.

Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks you."

My suggestion is to use the North Carolina EZPass system. It covers 17 or 18 states and the one transponder worked in all of them,

For what it is worth, here is my post from back in June 2019. I have added the bolded lines.

The phone number for NC is there so call them. They will answer all your questions instead of getting a hodge-podge of different ansers.

p.s. you can buy the same type Velcro at hardware stores that is used for the transponder and to transfer to the TOAD and back and forth.

Additional Info:
(From NC web site)

"Your NC Quick Pass E-ZPass and NC Quick Pass E-ZPass Flex work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted. Your NC Quick Pass E-ZPass can also be used with the NC Quick Pass HOV App or website to set HOV status and travel toll-free in the I-77 Express Lanes.

• Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

For clarification, the Florida SunPass is still only accepted in Georgia and North Carolina. 
I purchased an E-PassXtra from the Orlando, Florida expressway authority, 
it is accepted at all SunPass locations AND 18 EZ-Pass states. It is also cheaper to buy than the other passes. It works the same as the other passes. One pass for motorhome and put the tow vehicles in the  Anti signal pouch in the glove box of towed vehicle.  The one pass will read the total axles (not wheels). 
There is also another toll pass: TransCore Introduces RV Toll Pass with Nationwide Coverage

Badmanrick.  Welcome to the Forum!

I just read about the RV Toll Pass, activation fee is the normal $14.95, do you know how much the transponder cost?

Carl, got mine (NC Quick Pass E-ZPass) from North Carolina for $7.50. They sent the transponder and window sticker - called them and they said don't use the window sticker just move the transponder from one vehicle to the other. Both vehicles need to be registered on their system. They populated the credit card with $40 and the next month because of high usage the populated with $75.

18 hours ago, manholt said:

Badmanrick.  Welcome to the Forum!

I just read about the RV Toll Pass, activation fee is the normal $14.95, do you know how much the transponder cost?

Thanks Manholt. if you go online (RVTOLLPASS.com) for details. 
The 14.99 is a monthly fee only when a toll is charged. The transponder is $94.95. 

18 hours ago, manholt said:

That's not just an activation fee, that's the fee charged every month in which there are tolls charged to the account.  I guess if I visit my son in NC and incur a few 35 cent tolls going to and from his house I would see a $14.95 fee on my account for that month, in addition to the actual toll charges.  No thanks!

• Nominal monthly service fee of $14.99 charged ONLY on months when toll charges are incurred, otherwise there is no service fee

I'm glad that $14.95 is nominal for some folks.  I'll stick with the MD EZPass transponders that we have.  MD charges us $1.50/mo in the 3 months following use of the pass.  Beyond 3 months, if there are no tolls there is no monthly fee.

I'll stick with NC Quick  Pass/EZPass - no monthly that I know of until no use after 1 year. I just looked at my statement and it is the same as it was back in Sept 2019.  No brainer for me. After 1 year of no use I believe it is $1 a month.

Well due to the amount of so many choices now, one would think that the price to play, would be going down soon!  My Pass in Texas is no charge, until it gets close to $40, then its reloaded to $40.

We live in Southwest Florida And we originally had the Florida SunPass. The SunPass still only works in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. When the Orlando (Central Florida Expressway authority) issued Their E-pas Xtra, which covers all the EZ-pass 18 states, And all SunPass locations, I switched. 
Their transmitters are $18.50.
you can contact them at: www.cfxway.com. 
Then you just add money to the account or use the automatic cc charge options. This transponder works with a towed vehicle also. You put your transponder in the motorhome and it will read both vehicles.  If you have more than one transponder you put the dinghy transponder in its plastic anti signal bag and it won’t get read. Just let them know the tag numbers of both vehicles.   
If you visit Florida a lot this would be your best bet for a toll transponder. They have an iPhone and android app for phones and tablets.  
Hope this helps our FMCA friends. 

Coming homer to Michigan this past May we used Texas toll road, I do not have a pass. How long does it usually take for Texas to bill you?

Roland

On 6/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, Badmanrick said:

We live in Southwest Florida And we originally had the Florida SunPass. The SunPass still only works in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. When the Orlando (Central Florida Expressway authority) issued Their E-pas Xtra, which covers all the EZ-pass 18 states, And all SunPass locations, I switched. 
Their transmitters are $18.50.
you can contact them at: www.cfxway.com. 
Then you just add money to the account or use the automatic cc charge options. This transponder works with a towed vehicle also. You put your transponder in the motorhome and it will read both vehicles.  If you have more than one transponder you put the dinghy transponder in its plastic anti signal bag and it won’t get read. Just let them know the tag numbers of both vehicles.   
If you visit Florida a lot this would be your best bet for a toll transponder. They have an iPhone and android app for phones and tablets.  
Hope this helps our FMCA friends. 

Exactly how NC QuickPass/EZPass works and only $7.50 for transponder.

Edited by jleamont

Sun Pass published a news release recently that indicated that they signed a deal with EZpass and others that will allow almost nationwide use of the sun Pass and EZpass, it will not be active until sometime in 2021 or 2022. 

No need for Velcro, stick-ons or suction cups. I just set my EZ-Pass on the dash down by the windshield...five years ago. It’s still there.

Funny story, we’re in Florida now in the Jeep. Pulled into a toll booth, $1.00 toll, DW hands me the change, as I’m dropping the last coin into the funnel she says “hey they accept Ezpass now”, little late don’t ya think :lol:??? Our Jeep has an Ezpass on the windshield :o

Edited by jleamont

On 11/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, rlbarkleyii said:

Sun Pass published a news release recently that indicated that they signed a deal with EZpass and others that will allow almost nationwide use of the sun Pass and EZpass, it will not be active until sometime in 2021 or 2022. 

It was announced in July 2020 that both GA and FL would join EZPass probably in 2021.  https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-news/the-nation/floridas-turnpike-enterprise-georgias-state-road-and-tollway-authority-to-join-e-zpass-network

On 6/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, wildebill308 said:

Just so you know Congress passed a law saying "NATIONALPASS multi-protocol tag will meet the federal deadline requiring that all U.S. electronic toll collection systems be interoperable by October 1, 2016."

We see how well that is working. I have heard many excuses but the most common is geting the chip and chip readers to work

https://www.nationalpass.net/

Ge isn't it nice some are moving in the right direction.

Bill

HOLY COW!!!!  At the risk of sounding like the old curmudgeon, I have read, over the years different discussions regarding the EZ pass or whatever one is being discussed at that moment.

Bottom line, we have been on the road , full time, for almost 9 years and have had for the most part, no problem avoiding most toll roads.  The few we do encounter, are a pain but not enough to try to navigate different automated systems for as much as we roam.  If the states can ever get it together and settle on one system, I suppose I would willingly join.  I don't really see that happening though. 

One question for those of you that use the pass system in your RVs, do you find the toll roads get you where you want to go that much faster or more direct?

2 hours ago, brocki said:

...One question for those of you that use the pass system in your RVs, do you find the toll roads get you where you want to go that much faster or more direct?

Yes.

We live in SE Wisconsin, and to get anywhere from here going south or east requires going through Chicagoland. The toll roads that go around Chicago are much easier to drive with much less time spent sitting in traffic. It's not just in the motor home that this is true. I drove a semi over the summer for a company out of northern Wisconsin. They didn't allow toll roads in most places, but in Chicagoland we were expected to take them. The time savings was worth the money the company spent on tolls or they wouldn't have told us to take the toll roads.

Going east from Chicago, depending on where we're going, the toll roads heading east make life much easier as well. They're not the cheapest way to travel, but when you've got lots of ground to cover they can help. If we have lots of time we'll drop a bit south before going east and avoid the toll roads. But if we're trying to maximize our time at a destination on the east coast then it's toll roads all the way.

The I-pass transponder I got from Illinois doesn't cost us anything to keep at the ready. We have some money on deposit, but the hassle it saves us going through the toll booths makes it well worth while.

3 hours ago, brocki said:

One question for those of you that use the pass system in your RVs, do you find the toll roads get you where you want to go that much faster or more direct?

Yes absolutely, especially in the North East. One outher benefit of using major toll roads/for instance I-95 North of NY. (never cross the GW bridge) You can find good rest areas with gas stations you can get in and out of. 

Yes I have driven on the back roads in New England. The good roads are all North South routs. When you go East West not so much. Many like US-2 are not bad but harder to get any place and hard to find good stops. US-1 can be a nightmare of traffic during the summer. We did a rally at Moody Beach RV Campground and it could take 30 min+ to get out of the parking lot with the toad.

Like Richard said going through places like Chicago with out using toll roads would be just totally aggerating. Getting around the local traffic is totally worth the tolls. 

One outher big thing when you don't know the roads or the area. Using Toll roads are all most all safe to drive in your RV. No low (un marked) bridges, no bad big surprises.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308