kingrichard

Sunpass and EZPASS

2 hours ago, johnarch said:

As of Dec 1 2020, NYS toll roads will charge any vehicle more $ if they DO NOT have EZ Pass. Welcome to our great state!

It's pretty much been this way all across the system for years. The cash price has been higher than the EZ Pass price as long as I can remember, for decades. Nothing to do with your great state, as they all do this. There are lower costs to the tollway operators with the EZ Pass than with toll operators, and the EZ Pass can keep traffic flowing much more quickly removing bottlenecks at the toll plazas.

Some states, like Illinois, are using open-road tolling which means there isn't even a need for toll booths or slowing down to have your tag read at all. I forget how convenient it all is until I get to a state which still has the old-style toll booths with lift arms requiring a full stop, even when you have an active transponder.

Your Governor don't want us there.  Feeling is mutual.  We spent 3 weeks in NY State last summer, that was enough!

Richard, in 2018, we left our coach in Cedar Lake RV park, in IN. & took the Jeep, to O'Hare, by Toll Rd.  Lot's of quarters, backed up traffic, 5 pm & was very glad we did not have the coach or that we where not on secondary roads! We got to Airport with plenty of ck in time for flight to Sweden!  I would not do it again, but I did see where a transponder would be handy!

As for the other New England States, no problem, just take the loop and then secondary roads!  

13 hours ago, johnarch said:

As of Dec 1 2020, NYS toll roads will charge any vehicle more $ if they DO NOT have EZ Pass. Welcome to our great state!

They have always charged more if you don't have a pass. 

Bill

wildbill308 - that simply is not true. Without getting into any kind of debate - lets just say that as of Dec 2020 the difference in payment of having an ez pass or not has grown exponentially.

5 hours ago, johnarch said:

wildbill308 - that simply is not true. Without getting into any kind of debate - lets just say that as of Dec 2020 the difference in payment of having an ez pass or not has grown exponentially.

So where did you get your information? I get mine from the NYSTA web site. I have been driving the Thruway since before it opened.  

Did you know if you have an out of state EZ-Pass and use it in NY the charge is a little higher? Yet it is and has been cheaper to use the EZ-Pass over cash or mail in billing.

John, the key word there is "workED."  How long has this family member been retired?  Things chage.

Personally if I wanted to know something specific about anything I would call that entity and ask questions.  There are to many he said, she said things on the Internet and in email.

Happy trails!

Nearly every state is going to handle the discounts slightly different. If getting the NYS discounted rate is important to you, then get a transponder from NYS. For us, since almost every trip involves going through Illinois we chose to get one of their transponders. Unless you're going to get multiple transponders, odds are you'll have some states where you get a better discount than others. No point in bad mouthing states that don't give you the in-state discount if you're transponder is from another state.

8 hours ago, docj said:

According to the NY Thruway folks there is a 5% discount when using EZPass if and only if you have a pass issued by NY.

Welcome to New York  :(

Personally it is not the discount that I am after, it is the convenience of not having to stop at toll booth, after toll booth. Discounts are nice, but to me not as nice as the convenience.

Still not sure why the need to rag on any state in particular here, since this is a common practice and not limited to NY.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2019/06/07/the-cost-of-that-toll-depends-on-your-e-zpass

This is not unique to toll roads. States with lots of visitors from out of state will often add taxes specifically designed to collect money from those visitors.

Personally the convivence of using the toll tag is worth it even if you had to pay 5% more. The convivence of using the toll roads makes it a great deal.

Bill