Sign in to follow this  
caresen

Surge protector versus autoformers

I have read of the incidents that have occurred plugging into different campgrounds concerning power. I have seen no articles concerning which is best -- surge protectors or autoformers -- why, and people's experiences with either of these items. Any experience that someone would like to share concerning the use of either of these items would be appreciated.

The MOVs in surge arrestors simply sacrifice some of themselves every time they see a surge, and usually have an under-voltage device associated with them. While surges will cook your sensitive electronics under-voltage conditions will cause all kinds of problems with electronics and motor windings (think a/c units). Generally, when these surge units with built in under-voltage sensing see a low voltage condition they cut off all power to your rig. Depending on where you travel, loosing electricity because the unit trips can be disastrous for pets or food stuffs.

The new autoformers have surge protection (MOVs) built in so you get a surge limiting feature as well as low voltage protection. Autoformers do not drop your rig off-line when you have a low voltage condition but boosts the voltage to the desired 120V. Since we travel with pets in some areas where summer temperatures are terrible and loosing power to the coach could be terrible for the pets, we have an autoformer.

Hope this helps

We have a Progressive Surge Suppressor hardwired and in addition to high/low voltage protection it is also polarity sensing. It senses polarity during initialization when I first connect to shore power and several times has refused to switch on when the polarity was wrong. In the event of low power cut off (over voltage too) it starts a timer after a shut down when power comes back into range and then switches back on.

I imagine that setting an autoformer in line ahead of the surge suppressor(sort of belt and suspenders) would assure adequate power to run the AC and protect the pets so long as there is power available.

Please note I am a financial guy not an electrician. It is altogether possible (likely?) that I am wrong.

Seems to me that an Autoformer added to a circuit that was low in voltage due to current limiting wire size, dirty contacts, or any other fault would only force the circuit to supply more current to help the transformer produce a higher voltage than that supplied by the line. You might get away with that and solve your problem but you probably would be reducing the power available to everyone else on your leg of the campground circuit. Not a very neighborly thing to do.

Dave's post is why I do not use a voltage booster of any kind. In order to provide power to the attached coach, they must "take" power whatever is available on the line. This puts my fellow campers at an additional disadvantage. I've been a victim of these devices. While I understand those with continuing power needs, a way needs to be found to (by these RVers) to ensure their power without taking power from fellow RVers.

Since we travel with pets in some areas where summer temperatures are terrible and loosing power to the coach could be terrible for the pets, we have an autoformer.

Seems to me that an Autoformer added to a circuit that was low in voltage due to current limiting wire size, dirty contacts, or any other fault would only force the circuit to supply more current to help the transformer produce a higher voltage than that supplied by the line. You might get away with that and solve your problem but you probably would be reducing the power available to everyone else on your leg of the campground circuit. Not a very neighborly thing to do.

This is why a generator autostart is worth its weight in gold!