templeandgary

Leveling Blocks with Leveling System?

Hello,

I have a question as a beginner that I was hoping somebody could answer.  I just took my new diesel morothome out for a week long trip and visited a coupe of different campgrounds.  My coach is equipt with a Lippert Automatic leveling system.  As expected some campgrounds have very level sites and some not so much.  I stayed for a night in a gravel site that was just a little lower in the front than in the rear so my front jacks were extended more than the rear, however we were completely level.  I noticed the coach next to us with a similar site drove the front of his coach up on blocks and then used his jacks.  When I walked around the campground I saw some similar situations.  My question is, why?  If I am correct the jacks will still have to retract the same amount if the coach is up on blocks.  IF the blocks were under the jacks I guess I would understand but under the tires?  Is it maybe better for the suspension and bags to not have to hang as far?

Well, I am a little new to this coming from a fifth wheel so I thought I would inquire.

Thanks in advance for any help

Most do use blocks under the wheels if the wheels would be off the ground. Never let rear wheels be off ground or use blocks. Your brake will not hold. The front wheels could be off the ground for one night. I don’t make a practice of it. I do have 12”x16”x3.5” wood blocks to put under my jack pads. Keeps jacks from sinking in soft ground or asphalt. Some rallies require using unpainted blocks. 

When you use leveling blocks under the tires to help carry the load, it will lesson some of the movement of the coach that naturally occurs. The coach actually feels more stable when the load is lessoned on the jacks. Just one of the reasons that many of us use leveling blocks, it also takes some of the load off the jacks causing them to last longer with fewer repairs necessary over time.

We carry and use 4 Jack Pads, 14" x 14" x 3", they help to spread load, prevent Jacks from sinking into ground and as Kay said.  I will also use one or more as needed, when I use Air Level.  Pads are HD & got them from Amazon $160 for 4. 

I just recently purchased four HD pads. Haven't used them yet.

Remember: Be very careful of how high you put any pads/blocks under the jacks. My specific manual states 3 inches. Why? Because when you engage you jack system and all is settled it may be that when ready to go the jacks are resting on the blocks. Can happen,

I"ve got four jack pads that have many thousands of miles on a fifth wheel, an AC Allegiance and this Eagle....they've never touched the ground.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

FIVE. 

"They've never touched the ground."  What do you do?  Hoover? :ph34r:

I believe he is referring to the Jacks have never touched the ground due to the pads :lol:.

Carl....I've been flying helicopters since the 60s, did a lot of hovering....can't say I've ever hoovered.😜