QuiGonJohn

Scooter vs. Towed Vehicle

We have decided to go with a scooter instead of a towed vehicle.  We have a 26' Winnebago Aspect and do not want the extra length and other inconveniences a towed vehicle brings.  We used to get around at destinations with just our bicycles.  But now that we are semi-retired and plan more and longer trips, we want a little more range, flexibility and speed than the bikes provided. 

I am looking for recommendations on a good scooter.  I know 50cc or less and we don't have to worry about motorcycle endorsement.  But would that be under-powered for my wife & I both riding the one scooter?  I weigh about 155 and she weighs about 140.  If that is not powerful enough, the other main options seem to be 150cc or 250cc.  Any feedback as to this aspect of our goal would be appreciated.  Also recommendations of brands and/or models.

We plan to get a carrier that connects into our tow rig and has the small flip over ramp to put the scooter on or take it down.

We will then move our bicycles to a ladder mount, as we still might use them for bike trails, etc.

Combine everything into one bike each, E Bike...most have a lithium battery, charge by plug in or you when ever you petal.  Goes up to 20 mph and most will go 4 to 6 hours without re charge!  $2,200 to $2,700 each!

14 minutes ago, manholt said:

Combine everything into one bike each, E Bike...most have a lithium battery, charge by plug in or you when ever you petal.  Goes up to 20 mph and most will go 4 to 6 hours without re charge!  $2,200 to $2,700 each!

That's the direction we went. We carry two folding Tern e-bikes. They have a great range of 25-40 miles, depending on what level we use, and the pedal assist makes it really easy to go 10 miles or more into town without breaking a sweat. There are other e-bikes out there with throttles instead of pedal assist. They obviously don't require pedaling, but their range will be much more limited on the same battery size as the pedal assist models. If you go with a throttle e-bike, get the largest battery you can.

All that said, still won't give you the same flexibility as a pair of 50cc scooters. I had seriously looked at getting a pair of 70's style mopeds to carry with, but couldn't figure out a good way to hitch them to our coach.

Moped racks, like MC racks, on a DP can be a bother.  Elect or Hydraulic racks, tend to cost as much or more than what you carry!  Other option is a small trailer, but then you have 2 more tires to worry about & you cant back up.