Chrisk22

Size Of Coach

What size coach will most rv parks/state parks let you in or more available?We currently have a Tiffin 33aa. We are thinking a 40 or 45? Whats everyones thoughts.Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Chrisk22 said:

We are thinking a 40 or 45? Whats everyones thoughts.Thanks

If I was going to be full time in my coach I would upgrade to a 45. Don't let people talk you into a small coach. They usually say you need a small coach to get in to state and National parks. I have never had a problem finding a place to stay in campgrounds. My last trip was to more than 20 states and over 4300 miles North East. We stayed in 16 different campgrounds and didn't have any problems. My wife doesn't like to not have reservations so when we leave in 3 weeks for Minot ND for the rally we will have spots picked out. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill 

We leave Aug 5th for Minot. Three nights with reservations. Two are Pass Port at half price, one is full price, but all are full hook up. 350 to just under 400 miles per day.  If we were not constrained in our schedule, we would travel without reservations. We don’t have reservations for our return home. May travel different route. 

We have a 38 foot motor home and tow an Equinox. I have always been able to get big enough sites. Even at Rocky Mountain NP that states 35 ft max. When the restrictions seem to be tight I do make a reservation stating our needs. 

We are in Quebec Providence, traveling with 24 other coaches and 1 pull behind (34').  14 coaches are 42 to 45 foot, no problems in RV Parks an National Parks!  Due to the Ferry System, all RV's must have exact measurement of coach, hitch & toad...my coach is 47 foot 3 inches!  Front Cap & End Cap is the difference in length on all coaches!

Chris, as mentioned most RV parks can accommodate a 43-45 foot coach but on occasion I hve had some say they cannot. I always try and look on-line at their web site - or more exact look at the campgroundreviews.coml to see if big rigs are one of the check boxes. In the past we traveled without reservations and made them as we were traveling, and especially a week or more before holidays. Schools out - lots of rv'ers and the camping is on the upswing,

Now with that said, remember that a lot of Federal and State parks were built when rv's were travel trailers 21-23 feet long. Yes, there are some that can accommodate the larger rigs but it is safe to go on-line or call to make sure.

We have a 43' and love it.

I hardly ever make reservations unless I know it will be busy, holiday so forth. I live west of the Mississippi River so plenty of places to dry camp. If I am in an area like Florida, I go with the toad for a look. Many sights will take a longer coach just fine and the coach becomes the length needed. Never had a problem and has fit every time.

Some older campgrounds will be tight for a larger coach. We're only 35 ft long and 12 ft tall and have had difficulty at more than a couple of campgrounds. They all claim to handle larger coach up to 40+ when I call and ask, but once you get there things are tight. We were at a campground a few weeks ago in Michigan, and larger rigs had to swing out over the grassy areas to back into the sites. Not a problem in dry weather, but judging by the repairs to the turf more than one coach has sunk in and damaged the grass. In wet weather I wouldn't even attempt to pull into one of those sites if it meant driving over grass of unknown stability.

In the end the length of your coach will depend on where and how you'll use it. If you are going to be visiting campgrounds in the Northeast or upper Midwest, check in those areas to see what campground can handle. Sounds like campgrounds in the Southwest, South, and Florida generally have more capacity for larger rigs. Certainly not a one-size-fits-all kind of question.

Two weeks ago we were in a State Park with friends 2 45 ft  coaches and 39 ft 5er  all in spots that siad limited to 2o ft. was tight backing in but we did it.  I will not downsize we love oug 45 ft coach

Duane L

2016 American Eagle 45A

2014 Equinox or 2018 Silverado Duramax

Both with M&G Brake system

Empire State National Director

I think the big takeaway for new people should be. Don't buy a coach based on the size requirements of a few campgrounds. There are always other places. 

Bill

On 7/1/2019 at 9:59 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Do they leave the toad connected on the ferry?

Bill

Some disconnect due to pricing structure, I always stayed connected when possible, regardless of pricing, for the sake of convenience.

P.S. They do not take  your word for length(during our trip), they have a good eye, and measure  randomly with a wheeled tool. If they find the owner lied, they may move that rig to the back of the lineup.