drbaudoin1

Air bag valve

Can I plug my air dump valve on my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W it has a slight air leak while waiting on valve and mechanic

Edited by drbaudoin1

Before you do anything with it though, be absolutely certain that the coach is properly blocked and safe to get under. Especially when working on parts of the air suspension, these things can drop suddenly with deadly results.

It's not enough to jack up the axle and block the axle - you've got to properly support the chassis and body to keep it from coming down.

All that said, why not just replace the leaking valve?

What coach do you have? Where is the dump valve located? We are only guessing at this point, so very hard to give good answers. I suppose that you need to move the coach before the valve and mechanic arrive.

I looked up your system, and it seems as though your model uses a dual purpose ride height/ air dump type valve, and in that case, just plugging the valve would not be a good idea, it could although be replaced with a simple ride height valve which may be easier to locate locally. If you plug your style there will be no way to  raise the coach for moving purposes. If you do replace the ride height valve, be sure to follow Richards advice because when the valve is disconnected the sudden release of air will cause the coach to fall rapidly which may cause injury or death. If you need to move the coach before replacement, then if it only has a slight leak, you may want to rev the engine a little bit allowing the increased air flow from the pump to try to overcome the leak. Last year, I had a similar situation, only the air bag itself was the leaker, I drove the coach back home (308 miles) with that leak, only had to shift transmission to neutral and rev the engine slightly while stopped for traffic lights, while traveling at normal speeds, the pump kept up just fine. Some coaches use a single dump valve that is located either inside a bay, or sometimes in the engine bay, these type lets the air release from the air spring system without crawling under the coach.

Now we finally got the info needed. So its part of your Jack air dump system...how fast does it leak down?  As Kay said, you could still drive the coach to a reputable shop or wherever... 

If you are concerned about the bags leaking while waiting on a mechanic, just dump all the air. You can always start the engine and pump the bag up again.

Plugging the dump valve won't stop the leak. 

Herman 

23 hours ago, drbaudoin1 said:

Can I plug my air dump valve on my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W it has a slight air leak while waiting on valve and mechanic

How slight? If your coach passes the air brake test don't worry about the leak, just replace the dump valve ASAP, and watch your air pressure gauges closely in the meantime.