oscarpower

East to West, southern Canada

Question

Hello!

We're considering crossing Southern Canada this August-September and would like some suggestions.

Since 2011 we have traveled all over continental USA (except DE, MD, NJ AND RI) in our 28' - 2004 Concord/Coachman w/tow, but never ventured on it to Canada.  We're considering going North from FL this mid August up to Ft. Frances, MN (or maybe Sault St Marie, UP) and from there West to Calgary and South to Glacier/Montana, etc...

Suggestions on best routes, parks and affordable campgrounds will be appreciated.  Do they have Walmart's or others for ov/n free parking?

BTW our preferences are low key and nature areas.  Do understand we will be going thru big cities, but not interested in museums and such (husband doesn't walk distances any more :( ).  We have no time frame, no rush... just to enjoy the trip, good food and meet new friends!

Thank you!

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power

(Mrs. Oscar (Quico) Power

Gainesville, FL

17 answers to this question

Jocelynn,

Sounds like a nice adventure. Many folks here have made your upcoming trip. I myself have not.

The one thing I do know is "DO NOT TRY TO CARRY A GUN OF ANY TYPE INTO CANADA"

Herman

They have plenty of Wall Marts & Cosco & Canadian Tire (glorified Home Depot) & IGA (Super Market)!  You can stay away from Big Cities, by going around them.  I came up I-87 to I-15 (Canada) a month ago & stayed at KOA South, $35 per night Canadian Dollar = US$ 26. Then you could go West on Hwy 2 from there.  We are doing the Eastern Providences now...currently in Prince Edward Island, heading for Newfoundland & Labrador tomorrow!

Good Luck. 

15 hours ago, manholt said:

They have plenty of Wall Marts & Cosco & Canadian Tire (glorified Home Depot) & IGA (Super Market)!  You can stay away from Big Cities, by going around them.  I came up I-87 to I-15 (Canada) a month ago & stayed at KOA South, $35 per night Canadian Dollar = US$ 26. Then you could go West on Hwy 2 from there.  We are doing the Eastern Providences now...currently in Prince Edward Island, heading for Newfoundland & Labrador tomorrow!

Good Luck. 

We had fun in reversing falls, magnetic hill, bay of Fundy.

We're still in Prince Edward Island until the weekend. Met with Carl Manholt (Christensen) yesterday for a cold one.  His comments above are spot on.  

We left this morning & drove 302 miles to Baddeck, Nova Scotia  & will be here until Friday am...tomorrow we will drive the 180+/- mile loop, of Cabot Trail.  After Friday the next 3 weeks will be in Newfoundland, with a day trip to Labrador (bragging rights)LOL...

Ian, thanks for the cold one and a very pleasant conversation!   

DD those are great but on the east side. The OP is talking about going west from as far east as Sault St Marie, UP.

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power, I would recommend the Sault St Marie, UP crossing. I would take a day trip to Mackinac Island on the way up to the UP. Interesting area and I had a local explain "it isn't the UP till you cross the bridge". 

From there I would just follow the Maple leaf of 2 The Trans Canada Highway.

Bill

On 7/9/2019 at 6:03 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

DD those are great but on the east side. The OP is talking about going west from as far east as Sault St Marie, UP.

Bill

That was for Manholt

Thanks to all of you for your comments....

1) no guns with us! No problem there....  But I've heard you cannot take liquors across the border?  I doubt my preferred rum.... Don Q Cristal, from Puerto Rico... is not sold yet in Canada.... and a couple of months up there and west w/o my preferred.... is S-A-D!!!

2)  We've been to UP AND LOVED IT, actually our second option is just staying there to catch some cooler weather!  The day we had planned on a day trip to SSMarie, we had left the passports in the RV/campground right by the Mackinac bridge!!   :-(

3)  Would you know if there are many tolls on the "...follow the Maple leaf of 2 The Trans Canada Highway."

Again, Thank you!  I'm looking forward to the trip starting late August!

Jocelynn

There is tolls in Ontario on 407 

The roads and bridges with tolls in BC have gone now 

I believe each person can bring in 40oz each for booze 

Safe travels 

BM,

When I was in the Navy and traveled back and forth to Newfoundland every 3 months you could declare 128 US oz. every 6 weeks. (1 US Gallon)

It may have changed since 1957. At the Officers Club "Crown Royal" was $4.05 per bottle (Canadian equal to US Fifth):D

Matuse Rosea was $0.25 a bottle from Portugal. Bought many a case to Newfoundland but never got it back to the states, for some reason I can't remember why:unsure:.

Herman

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Matuse Rosea was $0.25 a bottle from Portugal. Bought many a case to Newfoundland but never got it back to the states, for some reason I can't remember why:unsure:.

I use to partake of that a long time ago. Had a glass not to long ago and didn't think it was as good as I remembered. :D

Bill

DD, your right.

Jocelynn.  They carry your Rum & other brands, some I have never seen before!  Most imported brands of Liqueur in the US comes via Canada, so why bring it back?  

Herman.  It's 2 Litters per person of Wine & one Litters of hard...we had 3 Blake Boxes (3L in each) & a gallon of Margarita.  Declared it and it was no toll...they came into my coach for a hands on search, 30 minutes later, we where on I-15N.  One in our group, had 5 cases of Wine & no problem.  We have a single woman & she declared a .308 rifle & got a pass! :)

Of course you would be searched, you have TEXAS tags on your vehicle. All Texans carry guns don't they know that ?:P:lol:

Did the lady declare that the rifle was for personal protection? Would that work for a hand gun, if you declare it for that reason? We are thinking about a short trek into Canada when we go to Minot. If not it will stay home, it's the side arm my father carried for 33 years as a police officer. I would not like to have it confiscated.

Herman

I believe the .308 got a pass as it is a hunting rifle, which if declared properly can be brought into Canada. 

Herman, I don't believe a hand gun of any type can be brought in legally, declared or not.  I am pretty sure it would be confiscated.