I would like to get an iPhone using AT&T, but I also need the ability to tether to use the iPhone as a modem for my laptop. Currently that feature is not available in this country, but is in other countries. Other phones can be tethered, but I like the ease of use of the iPhone. I did see the news release of the new operatimg sytem for the iPhone that includes multi-tasking. Does anyone know when or if iPhones may be tethered in the USA?

Thank you for the information. I may wait until the new iPhone comes out this summer. I really do not need to change until the end of July. I'll watch and see if they have any intoductory specials.

Thanks again

We just purchased two Palm Pre Plus phones with Verizon. They look and feel the same as the iphone/ipod touch line. They multitask, can do voice and data simultaneously, work on G3 and WiFi, and will operate from G3 as a WiFi hotspot to 5 wireless devices. They have no broadband 5Gb monthly limit if operated only on G3. 5Gb limit as a hotspot. Normal $40.00 per month hotspot fee waived. Data plan is $29.95. $600. phone no charge at this time.

I just met with the AT&T rep and I am testing coverage for our area. Our company is all Verizon wireless now. An interesting note about tethering. AT&T does not limit your usage to 5GB when tethering, that overage is charged only on the dedicated aircards. I have an email in to the Verizon rep now to check their policy on this.

As always double check your plan or call AT&T for confirmation. You know sales people.... :rolleyes:

With the release of Version 4 for the iPhone, tethering is now available. You just need to upgrade the phone and then contact AT&T to upgrade your service. However, a warning ... If you currently have unlimited data with your iPhone you will be downgraded to the limited service once you sign up for tethering. I verified this today and declined their offer!