SteveCynthia

Want to Get Rid DirecTV and Go Dish

We have used DirectTV home & coach 2018 Allegro Bus. Wineguard Roof Sat. that allows us watch down the road.

Has anyone ever changed over to Dish and can we just take Directs receivers out and put Dish in? Will all work same and how has Dish been? DircTV is impossible to get help or english help?

Thanks for any equipment help.

Generally with the Winegard systems you can take off the cover on the satellite dish on the roof and change dip switches from DirecTv to Dish.. If you have a Travl'r system you  will need a conversion kit which is a couple hundred bucks to purchase. You will need to obviously change receivers. We have the Wally Receivers. Also a good thing with Dish is that they have an App for your phone where you can change your local channels right on the app while traveling . . . No charge to do so. We have a pay as you go account with no contracts. I never have to call dish for service.

I had a Winegard in motion satellite and yes you were able to switch carriers by changing the dip switches. However it stopped working when Dish made changes to their programming. Winegard offered my a Traveler 1000 for a discounted price. I got a remanufactured satellite for $799.00 that installed myself. Very easy and I swear the unit I got was brand new. 

Steve the one draw back is the 1000 is stationary not in motion you were asking about. 

Herman 

Steve,

I have the winegurd Dish antenna change over kit new in the box plus the 211 Dish HD Receiver new in the box .I sold my Motor Home before I had a chance to install the unit on my Winegard  Traveler- Directv TV Traveler Antenna .I will take 300.00 plus shipping for the whole set if interested call me @ 972-249-6215 . I am an individual not a business.

Michael Hillhous

Steve and Cynthia/  I absolutely agree on Direct TV's decline in service since AT&T bought the company. Have been close to giving up on them and we joined in 1995. Been through thick and thin. If you happen to speak Spanish, you might be OK. We don't.

We had DISH, took the threat of a lawsuit from our attorney to cancel it, after 4 years!  AT&T Direct TV...no problem on 7 sat's & 7 receivers!  

Here is my story and I am sticking to it.😎

Lost our HD DVR  for a reason not known. Called the 800 number on most recent bill. Actually talked to a rep in the US/ near Tulsa. He placed an order for a new one and said it  would be delivered  in  two business days. No show. Called again and wound up talking to someone that I could barely understanding .  She eventually decided to authorize a local Direct TV  contractor  to deliver one. He showed when promised  , but said that he had everything BUT a HD DVR. He showed me. Had everything but what I wanted. Direct TV was on the side of his van. Was told that only refurbished units were available.  Said they are no longer being built. Thanked him . Told him that I was going to try for one from Solid Signal in Michigan. A Direct TV vendor. Turns out his company uses them for products.. 

Have used Solig Signal for years. In retrospect, don't know what I was thinking when I did not order from them. Unit arrived  in two days. I installed it easily. Then I had forgotten that Solid Signal could  activate them with a phone call from me. They have contacts at Direct TV that activate them. The rest was a mess. Call wound up in the Phillipines, and the rep clearly did not know what to do. She said that since the unit was not one of theirs she could not turn it on. Finally got to her supervisor and she walked through the activation easily.

just received our monthly bill and it included $99 for the vendors charge and he arrived without the product that I ordered. Am not going to even try to fix that. Before AT&T, when I called Direct TV for any reason I was thanked for our lengthy membership.  Would not take much more abuse for a change. Our Winegard Traveler on the Phaeton can be converted to Dish.

I am late to this discussion, I have a Wingard Traveler Antenna which lays down and automatically goes up and finds satellite. It is a Direct TV antenna which I am not happy with and would like to go to DISH when my contract is up.

Is there a conversion kit and if so what is the approximate cost and where do I go to get the kit. Also I can usually figure a lot of things out if not too complicated, how hard is it to install the conversion kit. I know I need to get a new receiver for home and RV which obviously I am OK with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you in advance for your help 

Yes, there is a kit for the conversion. I used Sats2go for converting mine when I purchased the MH. It cost me about $350 and I think that included the Wally receiver. As Herman suggested, call Wingard.

Here is a search for converting to dish

Here is a news flash.....Dish and Directv might be merging! I recently read the FCC would not object to the merger. It may be up to DOJ now to decide next.

That merger has been talked about for years. At one time the owner of Dish was floating the idea of buying them out on his on.