Sign in to follow this  
Mark1234

Generator

I start my generator so I can run my AC but the AC just makes a little click but don’t come on my motor home is a class A 2011 forestriver Georgetown 37 does anyone no if there is just a switch or something or do I have a problem 

Mark, 

I would start with checking the connections on the generator. You may have a loose connection on one leg and it's not getting enough juice to start the air conditioner. Also check the voltage out put on both terminals. 

Herman 

1 hour ago, Mark1234 said:

Yes the air works when it is plugged in

Mark ,toggle the circuit breakers off and on at the generator.

Does your EMS panel indicate that you have 120 volts to both the L-1 and L-2 circuits? Because both AC units work when on shore power - there might be an issue with the ATS or the connections between the switch and the generator circuit breakers.

Remember to power down the AC units before starting the generator, let it warm up for a few minutes. During that time are the EMS reading for L-1 and L2 the same as when connected to shore power.

What Make and Model generator is installed in your coach?

Rich. 

All good suggestions.  I'd just add that you check to see if anything else is drawing on the generator at the same time, such as the refer, or other appliances and lighting.  Know that the AC unit takes a large draw from the generator to start the compressor.  Once started is draws much less current.  There is also a capacitor somewhere at the power input to the AC to help with that startup.  If that capacitor is bad it will do exactly as you described because it is drawing way too much current to get the compressor started. 

1 hour ago, DickandLois said:

Mark ,toggle the circuit breakers off and on at the generator.

Does your EMS panel indicate that you have 120 volts to both the L-1 and L-2 circuits? Because both AC units work when on shore power - there might be an issue with the ATS or the connections between the switch and the generator circuit breakers.

Remember to power down the AC units before starting the generator, let it warm up for a few minutes. During that time are the EMS reading for L-1 and L2 the same as when connected to shore power.

What Make and Model generator is installed in your coach?

Rich. 

Generac QP65

Mark,

How are you making out?

From the information at this link, what is the model closest to yours?

Edited 7-27-2019

I just realized that the link offered does not work, so I will attach a copy of some Generac  pdf information.

soa.generac.com/manuals/419696/0E1015

https://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/generac-rv/0E7225.pdf

Rich.

generac_QP55.65.75.pdf

10 minutes ago, JKimmons said:

Did you find the problem? I have the same issue. AC works when plugged in, not on generator anymore. It worked until recently. Can't find a problem.

JKimmons,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

First thing is to flip the breakers on the generator off and back on.

Next step, IF, repeat IF you are safe working around 120 VAC is to open the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) and check for power IN and OUT from generator. 

If you don't have 120 VAC from the generator there, then check the connections where generator output is wired to house wiring (on its way to the ATS.

Yes, I am assuming you have an ATS-- what RV do you have??